"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 09-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I only arrived in the US in the last month and rejoined the sight.........so I will look for it..........thanks GotGarlic....:)
It's earlier in this thread. That's what I meant when I said this morning "as I noted above..."

Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Does it have to be Southern deep fried chicken or will Chinese do?

Southern, or similar.

Not Chinese.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #33
Master Chef

The one advantage of kosher chicken in this case, it already has been briend. Meat after animal was slaughtered goes into salt and then water. It is done draw the blood out.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #34
Head Chef

I'm a newb at frying chicken in a skillet. I'm just barely OK at it. I discovered you don't need a lot of oil in the pan. I've still got the recently released KFC secret recipe. The one that got leaked by some relative of the Colonel's. I'm about to try that soon. Also, some site mentioned putting a bit of baking soda in the dry mix. It's supposed to make the chicken batter mix fry up more frothy after you dip the chicken in an egg solution and go to fry. A small amount of baking soda added to the dry mix.

Oh ya...supposedly, white pepper is a key secret ingredient, so I bought some.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
well it is worth the effort for me and the flavor is amazing depending on what you use (apple juice is wonderful for flavor).........it's the juiciness factor that's worth it.......most turkey meats and chicken breasts tend to be dry for the most part......brining imparts juiciness........probably has something to do with the sodium ionization/balance factor.......
Over cooked chicken or turkey is dry. Properly prepared and not over cooked poultry is very tender. Same with pork chops and steaks. Its easy to ruin these cuts by over cooking them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'm a newb at frying chicken in a skillet. I'm just barely OK at it. I discovered you don't need a lot of oil in the pan. I've still got the recently released KFC secret recipe. The one that got leaked by some relative of the Colonel's. I'm about to try that soon. Also, some site mentioned putting a bit of baking soda in the dry mix. It's supposed to make the chicken batter mix fry up more frothy after you dip the chicken in an egg solution and go to fry. A small amount of baking soda added to the dry mix.

Oh ya...supposedly, white pepper is a key secret ingredient, so I bought some.
We use salt and pepper aggressively and dredge in flour. Its great and I like it better than take out.
We also leave the skin on and make sure its good and crispy.

I am with you on the amount of oil. You do not need to deep fry. I use about an inch of oil and turn once.

Tags
chicken