Dill pickle juice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dill pickles are rare here and I cannot just get them for the pickling juice ( 4 to 6 dollar for a tiny American jar) .

Can I make it my self?

Or substitute?

I so want to make this:
Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Dip - Host The Toast

Just make the brine used in dill pickles. Here's one recipe:

Refrigerator Dill Pickles Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Dried dill may be substituted.

While you're at it, toss in a few cucumber spears and make the whole recipe.

Dill pickles is good.

Last edited:
I think it would be pretty difficult to replicate, since much of the flavor comes from the dill flowers and pickling spices infused into the brine.

Dill pickle juice is terribly salty stuff.

If nothing else, I would try a 2:1 ratio mix of water to vinegar with a minced clove of garlic, as well as a healthy dose of salt and dried dill to taste. There are typically other ingredients in dill pickle juice as well. For example mustard seed, coriander seed, and allspice. I wouldn't worry too much about those, since you're going to be mixing it with other ingredients

Are American jarred pickles all that are available in Sweden? Just about any pickle juice will do the trick.

Not all dill pickle recipes use the flowers; some use the seeds. Other ingredients, like garlic, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and hot pepper flakes, are optional. imo, the only required ingredients are cucumbers, water, cider or white vinegar, dill seeds and salt.

Here's one recipe. I would just leave out the red pepper flakes; whether you use the garlic is up to you: How To Make Dill Pickles | Kitchn

There are specialty shops that sell American foods, expensive but people seams to buy stuff from them.
Swedish pickled cucumbers are much more acidic then American, they are less sweet. We use dill in cucumber pickling to but mustard seeds are now a days more common.

I might be able to get hold of Krakus dill pickle, for a sane price.

There are specialty shops that sell American foods, expensive but people seams to buy stuff from them.
Swedish pickled cucumbers are much more acidic then American, they are less sweet. We use dill in cucumber pickling to but mustard seeds are now a days more common.

I might be able to get hold of Krakus dill pickle, for a sane price.
Bread and butter dill pickles have sugar in them, but regular dill pickles - like the recipe I posted earlier - do not; they are quite acidic.

So which type of dill pickle juice should I use for the recipe, the sugared one or the none sugared one?

So it just to wait for the dill and cukes to come into season then. Oh well I have a recipe for autumn.

If you just want the juice, you don't even need the cukes. GG's and Big Jim's recipes without the cukes will work fine for your recipe.

I use whatever dill part I have on hand. Seeds, flowers, leaves, whatever. I grow some. I always have dried dill seed on hand. And you can make as much or as little of the brine as you want.

Last edited:
I actually use white vinegar, but cider is a bit mellower, not as sharp. Either will work. They're 5% acidity.

I spent many a time searching the internet for THE copycat recipe for Chick-fil-a. Oddly enough, none of the brine recipes called for pickle juice as an ingredient. The only pickles (dill) are on the sandwich.

Whenif I ever try to make these, I plan on using the recipe from Serious Eats: Homemade Chick-Fil-A Sandwiches Recipe | Serious Eats

If you would like to read Kenji's process of arriving at the recipe, you can read his explanation here: The Food Lab: How to Make a Chick-Fil-A Sandwich at Home | Serious Eats

Word of warning: If you decide to go into the foodie internet rabbit hole known as "Serious Eats", you might find out an hour or two has disappeared by the time you look up...

Dawgluver, that explains a bit ours is on 12%. I shall tell this to an American friend who been trying to pickle cukes here in Sweden. Maybe it will taste more right then.

Cooking Goddess: Oh more recipes to try!

Hoo boy, CP. Yes, 12% pickle juice will set your teeth on edge. Might want to dilute the vinegar with distilled water.

I don't think diluting with water would change acidity. You'd need to add an alkali. Sugar would work.
No, it will change the acidity. If you look at a bottle of vinegar, it says diluted to 5% acidity. And I don't think sugar is an alkali.

Edit: just checked. Sugar is neither an alkali nor a base. It's neutral.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom