Don't Have Buttermilk On-Hand? Here's a Perfect Substitution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neeney

Senior Cook
I often found myself reading through cookbooks and wanting to make something. But I wouldn't have buttermilk on hand so I would pass that recipe up.

With the internet at my fingertips, I finally researched what to use as a substitute and now I never have to buy buttermilk again!

In a liquid measuring cup, add 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice and then add milk to fill to the 1 Cup line. Stir together and set aside for 5 minutes. Use the mixture in place of buttermilk in your recipe. If your recipe calls for 1/2 Cup buttermilk, use 1/2 cup of the mixture.

It's great for salad dressings, pancakes, and many other things!!!

Nice! I'll have to remember that!

You might want to just grab some buttermilk next time you shop. Since it's sour when you buy it, the stuff keeps forever.

Nice! I'll have to remember that!

You might want to just grab some buttermilk next time you shop. Since it's sour when you buy it, the stuff keeps forever.

I did buy buttermilk but wouldn't it figure, by the time I finally went to make something with it, it was expired :ROFLMAO:

Now I'm on a buttermilk recipe quest. Made Creamy Parmesan Dressing yesterday and WOW! It's so yummy! Even though it's not quite 9am, couldn't resist dipping my finger in it this morning before I took my first sip of coffee :LOL:

For baking (especially things like buttermilk biscuits), I've found that the powdered buttermilk is really the best solution for me. Since it's powdered, it keeps, really, for a very, very long time (and I mean years... I don't think it even has an expiry on it). I keep it in the freezer, as I do my yeast and it lasts and lasts and lasts. It's in the section with the powdered milk.

For baking (especially things like buttermilk biscuits), I've found that the powdered buttermilk is really the best solution for me. Since it's powdered, it keeps, really, for a very, very long time (and I mean years... I don't think it even has an expiry on it). I keep it in the freezer, as I do my yeast and it lasts and lasts and lasts. It's in the section with the powdered milk.
I've always wondered about this... Does it taste at all different from normal buttermilk? It is a pain to keep buttermilk in the fridge and worry about it expiring - so the powdered stuff would be great if it works well.

I am wondering the same thing. Powdered sounds nice & easy. I didn't even know it existed. Is it found where the other powdered milks are in the grocery store?

I am wondering the same thing. Powdered sounds nice & easy. I didn't even know it existed. Is it found where the other powdered milks are in the grocery store?
I haven't seen it in stores - though admittedly I haven't looked too carefully - but the first place I ever saw it was in the King Arther Flour catalog: Dried Buttermilk Powder

I've never had it "straight"... that is, I haven't drank it. In recipes, I don't find any difference in the taste. I use it mostly for baking.

You can also add a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom