Don't have dry mustard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindercat

Sous Chef
I'm making a sausage & egg breakfast casserole with my class tomorrow. I just remembered I didn't get dry mustard. I think the recipe only calls for a tsp or less. Can I just use a spoonful of yellow mustard? I could just leave it out. I don't think it would be a drastic change in taste.

Can you give us the whole recipe? It would make it easier to answer your question. Thanks.

I would use the mustard. Maybe use double since powdered mustard is stronger. The addition of mustard will make a difference in taste.

The recipe calls for 2 lbs sausage, 8 slices bread, 3/4 lb sharp cheddar, 8 large eggs, 3 cups milk, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard.

The recipe calls for 2 lbs sausage, 8 slices bread, 3/4 lb sharp cheddar, 8 large eggs, 3 cups milk, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard.

Any strong mustard would work for this recipe. I would go for Hot English, German or dijon. Any mustard should work as long as it's not sweet.
I've made similar dishes and the mustard makes the recipe for me.

That looks very similar to that DO mountain man breakfast. And that recipe doesn't call for mustard. I think you could go either way, leave it out or use prepared. Casseroles are generally pretty flexible. Especially if there's ketchup and tobasco on the table ;)

Especially if there's ketchup and tobasco on the table ;)

Yuuuuuccccckkkkkk!! Ketchup on eggs? Gross! I don't like eggs to look like they're bleeding.

We assembled the casserole today using a little yellow mustard. We'll bake it in the morning.

Well, our egg casserole came out really good. I used about a tablespoon of yellow mustard instead of the dry mustard. It tasted good and the texture was nice and creamy instead of dense like bread dressing. There was only about two servings leftover. I reheated some for lunch and it reheated well. My only regret is that I was so busy I didn't get any pictures.

Great job, Cindercat! (bet ketchup and Tabasco would've put it over the top ;))

Lol. My dad and brother both like hot sauce on eggs or just about anything. I can live with a few drops of hot sauce but ketchup ... No thanks. I've heard of others using ketchup, though. Still think it's gross. Ketchup is only for French fries and meatloaf. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom