"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Master Chef

Question Dry-Pack Sun-Dried Tomatoes vs. Oil-Pack

I'm making a "Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf" recipe tonight that calls for "1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped". Unfortunately, the market this morning didn't have any oil-packed sun-drieds.

I do, however, have on hand every other form of tomato (of course - isn't that how it always is? Lol), including some bagged (commercial) "dry-pack" sun-dried tomatoes.

How can I best utilize these to approximate the oil-packed type? I'm thinking soak them in hot water until soft, as usual, & then perhaps drain & soak them in a bit of warm extra-virgin olive oil?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I'm making a "Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf" recipe tonight that calls for "1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped". Unfortunately, the market this morning didn't have any oil-packed sun-drieds.

I do, however, have on hand every other form of tomato (of course - isn't that how it always is? Lol), including some bagged (commercial) "dry-pack" sun-dried tomatoes.

How can I best utilize these to approximate the oil-packed type? I'm thinking soak them in hot water until soft, as usual, & then perhaps drain & soak them in a bit of warm extra-virgin olive oil?
You are on track soaking and some olive oil will work just fine.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Cook

I would endorse warm water (quicker way) or oil!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Definitely soak in hot water to hydrate. After that the oil is optional IMHO.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Soaking in hot water should be short to just soften the tomato a bit. Too long will change the nature of the tomato. Then soak it in oil until time to prep for dinner.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

if u are using the dried ones in a pot meal, ie chili or spag. anything with liquid in it. just chop and put in dry. they will absorb liquid and be just fine.

babe
Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!! It turned out absolutely terrific, & something that I will definitely be making again.

I ended up soaking the tomatoes in mad-hot water for a couple of hours - changing the water a couple of times since they were quite "crisp". I then finely chopped them & mixed them with a small dollop of extra-virgin olive oil before adding them to the rest of the ingredients.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Head Chef

Glad the dish turned out well. Usually I use oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes in pasta or salad dishes... Re rehydrating the dry ones, I pour boiling water over them & chop them up after about an hour or so. Another way to go is soaking them in wine. Just some "food for thought."