Dry-Pack Sun-Dried Tomatoes vs. Oil-Pack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I'm making a "Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf" recipe tonight that calls for "1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped". Unfortunately, the market this morning didn't have any oil-packed sun-drieds.

I do, however, have on hand every other form of tomato (of course - isn't that how it always is? Lol), including some bagged (commercial) "dry-pack" sun-dried tomatoes.

How can I best utilize these to approximate the oil-packed type? I'm thinking soak them in hot water until soft, as usual, & then perhaps drain & soak them in a bit of warm extra-virgin olive oil?

I'm making a "Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf" recipe tonight that calls for "1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped". Unfortunately, the market this morning didn't have any oil-packed sun-drieds.

I do, however, have on hand every other form of tomato (of course - isn't that how it always is? Lol), including some bagged (commercial) "dry-pack" sun-dried tomatoes.

How can I best utilize these to approximate the oil-packed type? I'm thinking soak them in hot water until soft, as usual, & then perhaps drain & soak them in a bit of warm extra-virgin olive oil?
:) You are on track soaking and some olive oil will work just fine.

Soaking in hot water should be short to just soften the tomato a bit. Too long will change the nature of the tomato. Then soak it in oil until time to prep for dinner.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!! It turned out absolutely terrific, & something that I will definitely be making again.

I ended up soaking the tomatoes in mad-hot water for a couple of hours - changing the water a couple of times since they were quite "crisp". I then finely chopped them & mixed them with a small dollop of extra-virgin olive oil before adding them to the rest of the ingredients.

Glad the dish turned out well. Usually I use oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes in pasta or salad dishes... Re rehydrating the dry ones, I pour boiling water over them & chop them up after about an hour or so. Another way to go is soaking them in wine. Just some "food for thought."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom