Dry sherry substitution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ELLENM

Assistant Cook
Is there another alcohol I can substitute for dry sherry?
Don't know that I have ever used it before. my recipe for 4 servings calls for 1/2 cup, though I may double my recipe.

thanks

:)A fruity white wine will work.(but use less)If you have no wine, this isnt the same but still good a little Balsamic Vinegar.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, dry sherry & mushrooms are a fabulous & classic combination. And dry sherry is not only very inexpensive, but lasts forever in the pantry & is useful in so many different dishes.

I frankly can't think of anything that would make a good sub. I think that a dry (or fruity) white wine would be too acidic & wouldn't have the depth that sherry has for something like this. But cooking is such a personal thing, & that's just my opinion.

To be perfectly honest, dry sherry & mushrooms are a fabulous & classic combination. And dry sherry is not only very inexpensive, but lasts forever in the pantry & is useful in so many different dishes.

I frankly can't think of anything that would make a good sub. I think that a dry (or fruity) white wine would be too acidic & wouldn't have the depth that sherry has for something like this. But cooking is such a personal thing, & that's just my opinion.

I totally agree. The sherry is called for primarily for flavor in this dish. I don't think white wine would work at all.

I'd suggest buying some sherry or just leaving it out.

Is there another alcohol I can substitute for dry sherry?
Don't know that I have ever used it before. my recipe for 4 servings calls for 1/2 cup, though I may double my recipe.

thanks

If you're looking for uses for the leftover sherry, I keep fresh ginger in a jar of sherry in the fridge - keeps practically forever, and then you have ginger-flavored sherry, which I use in my favorite stir-fry sauce. I top off the jar with sherry to keep the ginger completely submerged.

Thanks everyone
I did get some!!
Now I just hope that the green beans are nice enough to make my dish :)

I often deglaze my fish pan with some sherry, add some cream and herbs, and then I have a nice quick flavoursome sauce to accompany my fish. I also use it in creamy garlic prawns. Oh and I also drink it!!

If you're looking for uses for the leftover sherry, I keep fresh ginger in a jar of sherry in the fridge - keeps practically forever, and then you have ginger-flavored sherry, which I use in my favorite stir-fry sauce. I top off the jar with sherry to keep the ginger completely submerged.
I like the sound of that. I could do that with the bamboo shoots too.

:)I like sherry for cooking its good in chicken,turkey gravy I really like it in French Onion soup and so on.I like the real Spanish Sherries they go for about $9.00 a bottle and worth every penny.Also sherry vinegars are really good

I just made this sauce. I used pomegranate infused balsamic vinegar in place of the sherry. This sauce is amazing! Please don't let the number of ingredients scare you off. It is very easy to make, and really worth it. The other change I made was to saute the chicken with 2 cloves of garlic and not put any in the sauce. When I plate my dish (wild rice veggie combo, chicken and the sauce) it all tastes fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom