Egg substitute in meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You really only need the egg white for binding, so if it is a concern about the yolk and cholesterol, you can separate them or use an egg substitute.

Since it is a binder--soaking bread in milk (or veggie broth), squeezing the liquid out, and "ripping apart" the soaked bread should do the same trick. I don't add egg to meatloaf or meatballs when I cook for my heart-patient parents.

Last edited:
Nothing.

It surprise me when I read a recipe that require eggs to bind the meat! you really don't need it.

Just make sure not to add an we ingredient and you will be fine. And if you do just put the meat in the strainer and press it and all the liquid will go down.

bread crumbs and eggs a big no no

I usually use an egg and some starch (breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, rice, potato, even pasta) because it makes them lighter; the original intention in these things was to stretch the meat. But if I don't have an egg on hand, it isn't the end of the world!

growing up and helping in my mother's and grandmother's kitchens, I never recall using eggs.

I know when i make vegetarian/ vegan meatballs I use a little cornstarch mixed with mater and some vital wheat gluten but that is because the tvp doesnt hold together as well as meat....im rambling.. sorry.Just skip the egg all together in it, it'll work fine.

Thanks to everyone!

What do you put in meatballs, then?

I get a lot of recipes from America's Test Kitchen. They are almost always delicious, but apparently they follow unconventional methods!

Caitlin

Catlin I use eggs (not sure why, but grandma gave me her recipe and I don't want to stray from it). I figure though you don't really need eggs, because ground beef can be real moist.

Thanks to everyone!

What do you put in meatballs, then?

I get a lot of recipes from America's Test Kitchen. They are almost always delicious, but apparently they follow unconventional methods!

Caitlin

Don't get me wrong, Americas Test Kitchen is fantastic. It's their job to use unconventional methods and form epic recipes. I mean, I just made a broc. cheese soup from them that was outstanding..however, their methods are not the only method.

really for meatballs you need some sort of ground meat..whatever combination of meat you want but you do want a good amount of fat in it. and I know a lot of people who just season it, make em into balls, bake em, pull them out and fry them a little.
but you can toss some onion, celery..whatever into em and shape em. the egg is nothing more then a binder (if my knowledge in this area serves me right..I could be wrong..I don't work with much meat)..but I do know that the protein in the meat itself is enough to hold it together as it cooks.

You don't need a binder if you want to make a rich savory meat ball just put the mince and spices in a food processor to break down the proteins and fat they bind tighter when formed. You will see a difference after a few pulses in the mince just wait till it is all consistent texture.

I use this method to make meat balls on rosemary skewers for grilling. I never have a problem with them not binding well and I never add a starch like bread crumbs or eggs.

Meatballs started out in life as a poor man's food. Adding bread crumbs or stale bread soaked in milk was a way to stretch the meat to feed more faces. This addition resulted in meatballs with a different, more tender, texture from an all meat meatball, which would be a firmer, chewier item.

The addition of bread/crumbs and moist ingredients made the addition of egg more important as a binder.

That being said, do whatever you want. If you like heavy firm meatballs, that's OK. If you like lighter, softer meatballs go another way.

Basically if you make meatballs you like and they stay together without egg. Great. If you're having a problem with their breaking up, add egg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom