Emergency egg substitute.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanna be

Senior Cook
This comes from my betty crocker cookbook.This handy little tip has saved me more than once(NOT).Two egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of water will replace one whole egg.I have run out of eggs a few times and just could'nt make this work.

This comes from my betty crocker cookbook.This handy little tip has saved me more than once(NOT).Two egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of water will replace one whole egg.I have run out of eggs a few times and just could'nt make this work.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reading the thread title I thought that I will now know something about a egg substitute,
that will be really helpful.:LOL:

Here's a page on egg substitutes in baking. The function of the egg (binder, rising agent, texture, etc) varies depending on the recipe: Vegan Baking :: The Post Punk Kitchen tells you how

As an example, I use applesauce in place of eggs in pancakes. They add a little sweetness to the pancake. Other than that, they actually do a good job of giving the pancakes the soft texture usually imparted to them by the eggs.

I think I read 1 Tbs of water and 1 tsp of veg oil (something neutral) works for batters. I guess the water replaces the white and the oil replaces the yolk. hmm.

Another egg replacer that works surprisingly well in baked goods is mixing 1 Tb ground flax + 3 Tb water. I heat it in a small skillet on medium just until it becomes eggy.

It might work with other nuts (e.g., almonds) but I haven't tried it.

Tim

Another egg replacer that works surprisingly well in baked goods is mixing 1 Tb ground flax + 3 Tb water. I heat it in a small skillet on medium just until it becomes eggy.

Tim

Not so much for nuts. Flax and chia seeds both have a substance that gels with water. I wouldn't heat the mixture on a skillet personally. Flax has omega-3's which actually break down and become trans-fats with too much heat. It's a safe mixture to use for baking though.

But yeah, you can't just grab ground peanuts, almonds, or walnuts and hope to get the same binding effect.

Not so much for nuts. Flax and chia seeds both have a substance that gels with water. I wouldn't heat the mixture on a skillet personally. Flax has omega-3's which actually break down and become trans-fats with too much heat. It's a safe mixture to use for baking though.

But yeah, you can't just grab ground peanuts, almonds, or walnuts and hope to get the same binding effect.

That's good to know about other nuts. Thanks, Froggy!

Usually, I would only heat it on low heat (the "lo" or "1" setting) just until it thickens. I'm not sure different that is from baking at 350. In reality though, I put fresh-ground flax in my yogurt, and just use regular eggs when baking ;). That way, I avoid the whole trans-fat thing.

Tim

Tim

I haven't visited the site in ages, but thank you for this GREAT tip! So if I'm already sneaking ground flax into baked goods, I can actually reduce the egg I'm adding as long as I replace the liquid portion? Love it!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom