Evaporated milk sub in frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I am making a chocolate frosting recipe which calls for "1 to 2 tablespoons evaporated milk" - is there something I can substitute in this small quantity? I can't see buying a whole can of evaporated milk for 1-2 tablespoons and I would have no other use for it.

Thanks

It's a little over $1 a can where I shop. Not that expensive. Cream might be a good substitute, but I think you'll find that to be even more cost-prohibitive.

I am making a chocolate frosting recipe which calls for "1 to 2 tablespoons evaporated milk" - is there something I can substitute in this small quantity? I can't see buying a whole can of evaporated milk for 1-2 tablespoons and I would have no other use for it.

Thanks

I'd either look for another recipe or find a use for the rest of the e-milk.

I have a recipe for mac and cheese that uses pasta, cheese and evaporated milk. You could use it for that.

I would start with a smaller quantity of fresh milk, maybe start with a tablespoon and add the other tablespoon if the frosting is too thick.

Thanks
Evap is as cheap as chips, as we say over here (meaning it doesn't cost much - two nations divided by a common language ;)).

You could use the rest for sauces (eg cheese) or in rice pudding or other milk-based puddings.

I drink my coffee black but have friends who find evap delicious in their's. (It's pretty grim in tea!).

You could have it on tinned fruit as a dessert. Good on porridge or other breakfast cereal too.

My cat has a bit of a thing for it but only gets a teaspoon on special occasions as it's not really good for her.

I'v never frozen it but you could try.

(NB Evapourated milk is not the same as condensed milk)

I freeze evap milk in 2 tablespoon quantities (in an ice cube tray) and keep in a zip lock bag... I do this with a variety of products, I just need a small portion of for a recipe... Works well for me...

Ross

Evap is as cheap as chips, as we say over here (meaning it doesn't cost much - two nations divided by a common language ;)).

You could use the rest for sauces (eg cheese) or in rice pudding or other milk-based puddings.

I drink my coffee black but have friends who find evap delicious in their's. (It's pretty grim in tea!).

You could have it on tinned fruit as a dessert. Good on porridge or other breakfast cereal too.

My cat has a bit of a thing for it but only gets a teaspoon on special occasions as it's not really good for her.

I'v never frozen it but you could try.

(NB Evapourated milk is not the same as condensed milk)

In my experience milk products freeze well as long as the intended use is cooking. Due to a quart of heavy whipping cream at Costco costing the same as a half pint at a supermarket, I freeze cream.

Like many others, I can't imagine not being able to use up a small can of evaporated milk before it goes to waste in the refrigerator. Using some in your scrambled eggs is just a start, or make a simple baked sweet custard with the leftovers.

Last edited:

Thanks

Oh, but there is a great use for evaporated milk. Mix half and half evaporated milk and coffee or chocolate (or any other for that matter) liqueur. Serve it on the rocks. If you like it a bit stronger add a splash of vodka. If you like a bit lighter add a splash of soda. Enjoy. ;)

Half and half might be a good substitute, or heavy cream. In all the truth no matter the substituted you'd have to buy it.

Last edited:
Oh, but there is a great use for evaporated milk. Mix half and half evaporated milk and coffee or chocolate (or any other for that matter) liqueur. Serve it on the rocks. If you like it a bit stronger add a splash of vodka. If you like a bit lighter add a splash of soda. Enjoy. ;)

Half and half might be a good substitute, or heavy cream. In all the truth no matter the substituted you'd have to buy it.
Mmmmm, a Black Russian :yum:

Not quite. In black or white russian Vodka is the main ingredient, here it is specifically Evaporated milk that is main ingredient.

kahlúa and cream. I used to call these a Sombrero. I loved them. Add some Amaretto and you have a Toasted Almond. Yum. Loved them both.

Not quite. In black or white russian Vodka is the main ingredient, here it is specifically Evaporated milk that is main ingredient.

Yup. I would remember that by thinking Russian vodka. White meant add cream. I couldn't handle the vodka kick with the sweet Kahlúa. Shots of chilled vodka I could handle.

I can handle vodka in any form. But in all honesty I do not like drinking. My drink of choice is milk or lemonade.

A man after my own heart!

Back
Top Bottom