Evaporated vs Condensed milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chefellas

Sous Chef
Hi can you substitute evaporated milk for condensed milk. In Greece the condensed milk is sickeningly sweet and I just can't bring myself to use it.:chef:

The difference between the two is the sugar in the condensed milk. If a recipe calls for condensed milk and you use evap milk instead, there won't be enough sugar in the recipe to make it right.

Yes - condensed milk is sweet and evaporated milk is not, but they are both rich and high in butterfat. But like Andy said - condensed milk is normally called for when the sweetness is needed in the recipe.

the recipe is for fudge and it has lots of sugar, corn syrup, and marshmallows..if I use the condensed milk....my goodness, my teeth will get cavities before I actually eat it.

Fudge is a very sweet candy. Have you made this recipe and find it too sweet or does it just sound like it will be too sweet?

No I haven't tried it yet. I know fudge is sweet. I can fondly remember it when I was a child living in the states. But this recipe is super sweet.

I don't know what to tell you. If you have decided the recipe is too sweet without having tried it, make it with evaporated milk. It will work in the recipe as a sub for condensed but the sweetness will differ.

You could also cut back on the other sweetners in the recipe.

If this recipe is not from a trusted source, perhaps you should look for another recipe.

will do. now my only problem is where to find the marshmallows. it's just a question of alot of footwork. if you search hard enough here you can discover a lot of delicacies.thanks again

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom