"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
Executive Chef

don't think there is a sub for fish sauce,it's just one of those things that can't be replicated imo.stick a peg on your nose & keep using the sauce!
welcome to dc eesta from manchester uk

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Some things have no good substitute. Fish sauce is one of those.
I, for one, love the smell. Fish sauce has to be one of my favorite condiments and ingredients.
My suggestion, instead of trying substitutes just hold your nose while you cook with it. Otherwise that foundational SE Asian flavor will always be missing from the dish.
Bonito flakes don't have the super-savory, deep, salty, fermented, complex flavor that fish sauce has, in my opinion.

I agree 100%

Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I've come to the conclusion this thread is not about a sandwich made with fish sauce, on a long crusty roll.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Executive Chef

There's no substitute for fish sauce for me because I like it and because it is readily available here. However I'm often tempted to try and come up with some substitute that might give others some reasonably similar result when they can't find fish sauce in their local stores. Somebody not liking fish sauce or not wanting to use it is very unusual, and I don't know what to do for people like that. That's a desire that is unlikely to be satisfied because the more accurate the substitute is the more likely they will be to not want it, for the same reasons they don't want fish sauce.

My advice: Either leave it out or like the others said hold your nose while you add it. I've never been able to taste or smell fish sauce in a completed recipe as an individual thing, but rather it changes everything but not in a fishy smelly way.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've come to the conclusion this thread is not about a sandwich made with fish sauce, on a long crusty roll.

I reckon so!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

When I tell people a dish has fish sauce in it, they wrinkle their noses in distaste but love the dish when it's done. I ask if they tasted the fish sauce and they say no. Maybe they will be more accepting next time.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
very good andy,fair do's,very good!!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
When I tell people a dish has fish sauce in it, they wrinkle their noses in distaste but love the dish when it's done.
Just don't tell them. If they ask what that bottle is, tell them it's nam pla, a special Asian ingredient that makes the dish taste better.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm opposed to hiding ingredient info from people I feed. Just on general principles.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Oyster sauce isn't really anything like fish sauce. It has a thick kind of smoky taste and lots of soy (which may or may not go with the recipe).
Yes, I know - it's one of my favorite condiments. Since there really is nothing like the flavor of fish sauce, I thought it might be good anyway, since it has such a nice fermented flavor. I only use about 1/4 tsp. in a batch of stir-fry and it makes a big difference. A dash of Maggi seasoning is another possibility.

Tags
fish, sauce