Fishy alternative for Veal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Zachary

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! First time post, but I need a little help. I will be cooking a four course gourmet meal in the coming future. The main course will be escalope in a white raspberry cream sauce. The problem is, I want everyone to taste this exquisite sauce and its delicious blend with the meat, however, one of my guests does not eat red meat, poultry, or pork but does eat fish.

My question is: Does anyone know of a fish that would be a good alternative to veal and that would have a similar flavoring (obviously nothing it going to be a great match, but just something within the realm) and hold up well being sauteed in oil, flour and pepper?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, CZ. Welcome to DC.

If your primary objective is to spotlight the sauce, go with a white-fleshed, mild-tasting fish. Consider haddock, tilapia, red snapper and similar.

Thank you both Alix and Andy M. I will be testing the recipe with basa, haddock and red snapper this week. I appreciate your quick response and help very very much!

I find snapper a bit strong myself so I would suggest leaving that one til last. Good luck.

Try halibut. It has a meaty texture and a very mild flavor that I suspect the sauce would complement.

Back
Top Bottom