Flour vs. Cornstarch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stock Pot

Senior Cook
For thickening things like beef stew I've been using a heaping TBS of cornstarch mixed with some water and put in the liquid around 15 minutes before the stew is done. It seems to accomplish the same thing without the chance of burning the flour. I don't think either one of them adds any flavor, but maybe I'm missing something.

I prefer to use flour over cornstarch to thicken things like beef stew. Cornstarch sometimes lose its thickening ability when reheated. As you said neither provides any significant flavor.

Last edited:
I also prefer flour for most savory applications.

Cornstarch makes the sauce to shiney and like Andy said, it loses its thickening power.

Not sure why you are afraid of burning flour ....

Flour most of the time for gravies. I don't like see through gravy. Something disturbing about cornstarch gravy.

Some below exceptions.

Cornstarch does lose it's thickening power. I do use it for things that won't be reheated or slightly heated
I do use it for a quick stir fry sauce.
Fruit compotes etc.
Lemon pie filling

I make a roux from flour and fat if I want the roux to flavor as well as thicken the liquid in a dish. If all I want to do is thicken a liquid, then a slurry of corn starch and water will do the job. It all comes down to what you want to accomplish, IMO.

CD

I use arrowroot for thickening my stews, it costs quite a bit more.

(From some online site):
A few key characteristics of arrowroot powder as a thickener.

Do not use with dairy or cream sauces. It will come out slimy.

Arrowroot powder will not turn liquids cloudy when thickened, so when transparency is the goal, arrowroot will be a better choice than cornstarch or flour.

Arrowroot thickens at a lower temperature than flour or cornstarch, so it can be used towards the end of cooking.

Arrowroot's thickening properties are not affected by freezing or acidic ingredients.

Last edited:
With both of us being gluten intolerant (TB more than me), I use cornstarch, tapioca starch or a basic gluten free flour mix (rice flour, cornstarch, and tapioca starch) for thickening things.

Basically, I use the plain starches for Asian dishes and the flour mixture for stews. I do use cornstarch for my rouladen gravy and really like the consistency of it.

Flour and water with a few drops of Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet. Put a lid on tight and shake the devil out of it. Slowly pour into broth of stew or soup stirring constantly. It will thicken without burning.

Another vote for flour!

Try shaking your raw meat cubes in seasoned flour before browning them in hot fat. Don't be in a hurry and don't crowd the pan get some good color on the meat. The small amount of flour will mix with the fat to form a roux and when you add the liquid for the stew it will thicken slightly.

If you have trouble making gravy or thickening a stew with plain AP flour try using a quick mixing flour like Wondra until you get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I generally use a roux made with flour. I use cornstarch for stir-fries. However, for cream soups, I will use potato. I will cook the potatoes in stock, drain the potato cubes, puree them in the blender or FP with some of the stock, smusch them through a China cap or strainer/sieve, and then add that back to the soup, adding the stock I drained off from the potatoes.

Last edited:
It really depends on what I'm making. If It's with fruit filling then tapioca starch is what I use. If I'm making savory gravy, for something like stew, chowder creme based sauces, veloute, brown sauce, etc., then I start by making a roux with flour and fat. If I am making a sauce for a stir fry, or a sweet and sour sauce, or making gravies for DW, I use corn starch.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind Of The North

Another vote for flour!

A vote for arrowroot too! My lamb curry stew calls for taking out the stewed lamb towards the end and thickening up the liquid.

Is Arrowroot powder pricey or what? $7.00 for a McCormick spice jar size. It does the job.

Last edited:
For stews, I don't think there is a difference in thickening for flour vs. arrowroot that's worth spending $7.00 a jar for. A couple of tablespoons of flour might set you back a few cents.

For stews, I don't think there is a difference in thickening for flour vs. arrowroot that's worth spending $7.00 a jar for. A couple of tablespoons of flour might set you back a few cents.

Flour takes longer to thicken my stew liquids, and the extra amount needed (compared to arrowroot) blands out the flavor of my stew liquid. Yes, arrowroot is expensive compared to flour, but I prefer it for thickening my stew liquids at the end.

Last edited:
I would think that arrowroot is arrowroot, right Caslon? Jet has a one pound package of Bob's Red Mill Arrowroot for $4.74. If you can come up with $30.26 more in purchases, not only will they ship everything to you for free, but they'll give you a 15% discount.

Dang, why am I not shopping on Jet??? :huh:

I have hard enough time getting to $35 for free shipping from Amazon. :LOL:

I broke down and bought a product and paid for shipping. You know what it was? Of all things it was apple-grape jelly also known as "all fruit" jelly. Not to be confused with All Fruit jelly products. All Fruit jelly like you get in restaurants, in little packets. "All fruit jelly" is not at my 3 major supermarkets. It's apple mixed with grape (jelly). I got a jar of it online. Smuckers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom