Fresh tomatoes in omelet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Substitute for the canned diced tomatoes.
I will be helping with school party for kids next Sunday. Frying made to order omelets.
Last year we used 300 eggs during same party. Also last year I diced a lot of fresh tomatoes and mushrooms, this year I am going to be busy and will not have time to do it. If I ask somebody else to do it they will cut tomatoes into 6 pieces and will be "done" with them, I just know it. Hard to find good help nowadays. :( I was thinking to get small dice canned tomatoes and be done with it.

What do you think? There is definitely different taste.

That is what I was thinking too, but afraid the people will complain about different flavor.

Bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, cheese, I'll have some salsa on hand in case some body will want some hot stuff.

You could use a mild salsa in place of the tomato and offer Tabasco Sauce if they want it hot.

i think tomatoes just water it down. i would just leave them out. they can spoon drain the salsa if they like and have the flavor that way. frankly i don't think they add that much.

That is what I was thinking too, but afraid the people will complain about different flavor.

If they complain, next time they can do it themselves!

Canned diced tomatoes, drained, have very little difference from fresh.

I am sorry that it is a lot of extra work. Fresh diced toms are so excellent in an omelet.

Yes they are, and they are not even that much work, how much would I need 7-10 cups of tomatoe at the most. But it is my first cousins 60-th birthday night before and I am not about to miss it. And I simply will not have enough time in the morning.

I would just use canned diced tomatoes, but be sure to strain them, maybe keep them in a colander. They keep their shape well. There is a lot of moisture in tomatoes, which can make things watery.

Good quality canned tomatoes are much better tasting than supermarket tomatoes. Especially in the winter. In Minnesota.

Just buy good ones and drain them well.

Gosh, it's true it is winter. Oh, my. I hater winter. Where is the global worming when you needed.

Ok, thank you everybody, I'm set o canned tomatoes.

Canned tomatoes will definitely taste a bit different. Moreover, they will be the preserved ones. So not sure whether the taste will be preserved or not. But you will be surely missing the tatse of fresh tomatoes juice

Charlie, you are in charge, so why not change it up a little, use the drained tomatoes, get good ones, then add some sliced green onions, cheese and salt and pepper. And maybe a little parsley.less work if you get already shredded cheese...simple tasty and it will save you time. I think anyone who has the nerve to complain is rude and needs a swift kick. Good luck and you sure are special for all the cooking you do.
kades

Back
Top Bottom