"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate

Hello all.

I am new to this site and I'm glad I found this forum.

I have developed a liking for a lot of American recipes (key lime pie, crumb cake etc.). My husband and I have visited the U.S. mainland and also Honolulu (a great place for a vacation).

As I have purchased quite a few American recipe books in the last year, I am having fun baking new recipes.

I do have a question and would be grateful for any advice. I have a recipe for ice-cream (orange flavoured) that requires frozen orange juice concentrate which I cannot buy in Australia. I am wondering if I could substitute regular orange juice with a dash of orange extract in place of the frozen orange juice concentrate?

Also is frozen orange juice concentrate used mainly in cooking or do you also drink it like regular orange juice?

Thanks everyone.

Deb

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Executive Chef

The OJ concentrate is in a can usually in the freezer section. You mix the contents of the can with water to make orange juice.

You might be able to reduce regular 100% orange juice down to get that strong orange flavor. You can also mix in some zest.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

The thing with undiluted concentrate is not only the flavour but the consistency. It is very thick, even when thawed. I agree with Jeekins, but you would be best to use fresh squeezed and reduce it until syrupy. You will need to use a lot of oranges to reduce down to even a small amount.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Hospitality Queen

One more thing to add - the frozen orange juice concentrate is really sweet too, so maybe adding corn syrup would take care of the sweetening and help with some of the thickness it needs.

Or, here's another recipe, that uses fresh: http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/ice...eamyorange.htm
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Head Chef

Here in the US, it is mainly used for drinking. Dilute one can concentrate with 3 cans water, stir well and voila! Orange juice, complete with pulp.
So the concentrate is approximately 3 times the "strength" of regular OJ.

You might look for some sort of an orange flavoring concentrate and use some of that too.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome to DC, Deb. If you can't find orange juice concentrate, here's a recipe for Orange ice cream that doesn't require concentrate.

Orange Ice Cream Recipe & Photo - Joyofbaking.com

I use the concentrate to make orange juice & a thick orange sauce for orange chicken (w little or no diluting).
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb How to make orange juice concentrate

Hi all,

I'm new here but registered so I could post a link I found. I live in Europe where you cant buy juice concentrate either. I was looking for a substitution for a recipe and found this link:

How to Make Orange Juice Concentrate | eHow.com

I havent tried it yet (only just found it today), but it doesnt sound too hard, only time consuming.

I think I will try it and then freeze individual "Tbsp" of the concetrate so I have some on hand. You never know when you might need it
Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
One more thing to add - the frozen orange juice concentrate is really sweet too, so maybe adding corn syrup would take care of the sweetening and help with some of the thickness it needs.

Or, here's another recipe, that uses fresh: Homemade Ice Cream Recipe - Creamy Orange Ice Cream
I only find the sweetened frozen OJ to be really sweet. It may be a bit sweeter than fresh oranges, depending on where you live. The frozen OJ is made from tree ripened oranges.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelisaS View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here but registered so I could post a link I found. I live in Europe where you cant buy juice concentrate either. I was looking for a substitution for a recipe and found this link:

How to Make Orange Juice Concentrate | eHow.com

I havent tried it yet (only just found it today), but it doesnt sound too hard, only time consuming.

I think I will try it and then freeze individual "Tbsp" of the concetrate so I have some on hand. You never know when you might need it
Thanks for posting this. Sounds easy enough and a great way to use up those oranges !
Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to both of our new members. As you see, ask a question, and everone jumps in with an answer. We have members from all over the world. Glad you joined our family.