Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deb from Australia

Assistant Cook
Hello all.

I am new to this site and I'm glad I found this forum.

I have developed a liking for a lot of American recipes (key lime pie, crumb cake etc.). My husband and I have visited the U.S. mainland and also Honolulu (a great place for a vacation).

As I have purchased quite a few American recipe books in the last year, I am having fun baking new recipes.

I do have a question and would be grateful for any advice. I have a recipe for ice-cream (orange flavoured) that requires frozen orange juice concentrate which I cannot buy in Australia. I am wondering if I could substitute regular orange juice with a dash of orange extract in place of the frozen orange juice concentrate?

Also is frozen orange juice concentrate used mainly in cooking or do you also drink it like regular orange juice?

Thanks everyone.

Deb

The OJ concentrate is in a can usually in the freezer section. You mix the contents of the can with water to make orange juice.

You might be able to reduce regular 100% orange juice down to get that strong orange flavor. You can also mix in some zest.

The thing with undiluted concentrate is not only the flavour but the consistency. It is very thick, even when thawed. I agree with Jeekins, but you would be best to use fresh squeezed and reduce it until syrupy. You will need to use a lot of oranges to reduce down to even a small amount.

Here in the US, it is mainly used for drinking. Dilute one can concentrate with 3 cans water, stir well and voila! Orange juice, complete with pulp.
So the concentrate is approximately 3 times the "strength" of regular OJ.

You might look for some sort of an orange flavoring concentrate and use some of that too.

How to make orange juice concentrate

Hi all,

I'm new here but registered so I could post a link I found. :) I live in Europe where you cant buy juice concentrate either. I was looking for a substitution for a recipe and found this link:

How to Make Orange Juice Concentrate | eHow.com

I havent tried it yet (only just found it today), but it doesnt sound too hard, only time consuming.

I think I will try it and then freeze individual "Tbsp" of the concetrate so I have some on hand. You never know when you might need it :chef:

One more thing to add - the frozen orange juice concentrate is really sweet too, so maybe adding corn syrup would take care of the sweetening and help with some of the thickness it needs.

Or, here's another recipe, that uses fresh: Homemade Ice Cream Recipe - Creamy Orange Ice Cream

I only find the sweetened frozen OJ to be really sweet. It may be a bit sweeter than fresh oranges, depending on where you live. The frozen OJ is made from tree ripened oranges.

Hi all,

I'm new here but registered so I could post a link I found. :) I live in Europe where you cant buy juice concentrate either. I was looking for a substitution for a recipe and found this link:

I havent tried it yet (only just found it today), but it doesnt sound too hard, only time consuming.

I think I will try it and then freeze individual "Tbsp" of the concetrate so I have some on hand. You never know when you might need it :chef:

Thanks for posting this. Sounds easy enough and a great way to use up those oranges !

Welcome to both of our new members. As you see, ask a question, and everone jumps in with an answer. We have members from all over the world. Glad you joined our family. :chef:

Hi Deb
In Australia, try using Cottees Double Concentrate Cordial (it comes in a 1 litre bottle I think) and reduce it down over a simmering heat until the quantity halves. It's very close to what you want.

Welcome to both our new members. I find OJ concentrate too sweet. Thanks for posting how to make one's own! I am kicking myself that I didn't buy the big bag of limes I saw today because I'd make lime concentrate!

Hi all,

Now you are thinking like a true DCer. Welcome to our world. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom