Golden Mushroom Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txgeobell

Assistant Cook
Hi All,
I'm Michelle and I'm a first time poster in need of help.

I haven't been able to find golden mushroom soup in quite some time.
I made the mistake of telling my family I would be making smothered steak tonight thinking I still had two cans left (I usually use five cans but thought I'd try to stretch it)

It turns out I only have 1 can. I do also have 1 can of cream of mushroom and 2 cans of tomato. I also have 3 packets of brown mushroom gravy mix and about 3 cans of tomato paste.

Does anyone have any idea which combo might come the closest?

I don't even come close to having the ingredients to make it from scratch. My teen has my car at school today, so I can't even run to the store.

Thanks,
Michelle

Personally, I think cream of mushroom makes a great gravy for meat, particularly pork.
With what you have, I would mix the 2 mushroom soups and use the gravy mixes too.

But then again, I might change my mind, depending on your recipe, or what you consider "proper" smothered steak.

And welcome to the neighborhood! Pull up a spatula and help stir the conversation pot every now and then!

Thanks so much for the reply and welcome!
I have a picky daughter that doesn't like the color of cream of mushroom soup. I grew up with the creamy version, but in home ec. was taught to make it with golden. It's one of those things I don't make very often, but my family loves it...

My recipe: dredge meat, fry for a few, cover with soup and bake for an hour.
(probably not "real" smothered steak, but that's what we call it)

I would combine the soup with the gravy mixes. I wouldn't use the tomato. And tell your daughter that this is just how it is.

I would think the gravy mixes would "color" the pale mushroom soup enough that your daughter wouldn't balk if it is just the color that puts her off. I agree with using the 2 cans of mushroom along with the gravy and leave the tomato soup for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom