Good sub for Russian Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
My SIL made a chicken dish over the holidays with a bottle of Russian salad dressing and a can of crushed pineapple poured over the chicken and cooked in the crockpot then served over rice. It was really good and I was going to try some but I can't find Russian dressing in any of the stores around here. Any good suggestions for a substitute?

Google Russian dressing. It typically involves ketchup, maybe mayo, looks pretty easy to make.

DL, why didn't I think of that? :) I guess that's why you're makin' the big bucks! :D

Jabbur, I can see no need for any fancy recipe for your Russian dressing substitute. The main reason the Russian dressing appears in your recipe is because it's a quick and easy recipe, and the dressing provides several ingredients in one convenient item. I googled several recipes and here's the one that looked most suited:

1 C. mayonnaise
1/4 C. chili sauce, cocktail sauce or ketchup
1 T. prepared horseradish
1 t. minced onion

Just mix the ingredients above, then stir in your crushed pineapple, proceed as in your original recipe.

You can also bake this recipe: 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I make a very similar recipe that you might like to try some time:

4 skinless chicken breasts or 8 skinless chicken thighs
18 oz. jar of apricot preserves
8 oz. Russian salad dressing (bottle, or use sub above)
1 sm. can chunk pineapple
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix

Lightly grease or oil a casserole dish to prevent sticking. (Spray oil is perfect.) Put chicken pieces in dish, pour combined ingredients over top, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Either recipe is perfect for "just got home from work, don't wanna cook, don't wanna go out, don't wanna order delivery." Takes 5 minutes to prepare. No need to watch it cook. :)

Last edited:
My SIL made a chicken dish over the holidays with a bottle of Russian salad dressing and a can of crushed pineapple poured over the chicken and cooked in the crockpot then served over rice. It was really good and I was going to try some but I can't find Russian dressing in any of the stores around here. Any good suggestions for a substitute?

If something calls for Russian dressing that I am making I use Thousand Island. It's close, but different. It's really a taste thing and I prefer Thousand Island. Probably because I'm not a big fan of horse radish :)
And they are about the same color :LOL:

Picanis has a good point. Comparing recipes the main difference between the two appears to be the horseradish. Sub the TO dressing and add some horseradish if you want some more kick.

Thanks guys. I think I'll try one of the Russian dressing recipes. It looks pretty simple and I have all the ingredients. It'll be nice to throw all of it into the crock and have dinner ready when I get home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom