Gumbo. Is File powder worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure why you chose cornstarch. Gumbo is traditionally thickened with a roux. Filé can be cooked into the gumbo or served at the table for a final seasoning.
A roux loses its thickening ability the darker it gets.

I’ve never used file, the okra thickens the soup quite well. I’ve read that using both okra and file is a no-no. Don’t know how true that is.

you can use file' with okra all file' is, is sasafras leaves ground into a powder. and yes the darker the roux the less thickening powder it has but the more richness the flavor is. I tend to like more of a blonde roux kinda in between no darker then that of chocolate milk. also the darker you go the more chance you will burn it.

For chicken and andouille gumbo, I take the roux to a dark red-brown. As soon as the vege goes in, it gets darker. Once the stock goes in the gumbo, it takes on a nice brown gravy color. Every gumbo I've made has the consistency of soup. Now etouffee is meant to be thick and I use a peanut butter colored roux. Although I've never had it, I think turtle soup in Cajun country is meant to be on the thicker side.

Back
Top Bottom