"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 02-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Homogenized vs Whole Milk

Hubby brought home homo and I need whole is it the same thing?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I believe it is, yes

Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Whole milk is based on fat content. What is the fat content? Almost all commercially sold milk is homogenized, fat content determines type. Whole milk, according to my carton, contains total 12% fat. Interestingly enough, my 1% milk is 4% fat That's total though, not just milkfat. I don't remember the milkfat content of whole but the fat grams will help determine if you have the right milk.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Whole milk means no fat has been removed.

Homogenized milk means the fat in the milk has been evenly distributed throughout the milk rather than letting it rise to the top of the bottle.

So whole, 2%, 1% can and usually are all homogenized.

The bottle should say if it's whole milk or one of the reduced fat versions.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Head Chef

Not necessarily. Homogenized milk simply has the butterfat broken down into smaller particles so that the cream will not separate from the rest of the milk. However, virtually all milk sold in markets is homogenized, including skim or non-fat milk, 1% and 2% low-fat milk, regular whole milk (about 4% fat), extra-rich milk, half-and-half, cream, whipping cream, and heavy cream (have I missed any?). The difference is in fat content.

However, if the carton simply says "homogenized milk," it's undoubtedly regular "whole" milk.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Whole milk is based on fat content. What is the fat content? All milk is homogenized, fat content determines type. Whole milk, according to my carton, contains total 12% fat. Interestingly enough, my 1% milk is 4% fat That's total though, not just milkfat. I don't remember the milkfat content of whole but the fat grams will help determine if you have the right milk.

Callisto, the 12% number you see is the percentage of the average daily values, not the amount in the milk. In other words, a cup of whole milk contains 12% of your daily fat intake.

Whole milk contains 3.5% to 3.8% total fat. 2% and 1% milks contain those amounts of fat and skin contains less than 0.5% fat.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Whole milk is based on fat content. What is the fat content? Almost all commercially sold milk is homogenized, fat content determines type. Whole milk, according to my carton, contains total 12% fat. Interestingly enough, my 1% milk is 4% fat That's total though, not just milkfat. I don't remember the milkfat content of whole but the fat grams will help determine if you have the right milk.
Those percentages are the "% of Daily Value" amounts of each nutrient, which differ from the actual fat content of the milk. Whole milk is about 3% to 4% milkfat. CLICK ME
Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...skin contains less than 0.5% fat.
Not mine, unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Callisto, the 12% number you see is the percentage of the average daily values, not the amount in the milk. In other words, a cup of whole milk contains 12% of your daily fat intake.

Whole milk contains 3.5% to 3.8% total fat. 2% and 1% milks contain those amounts of fat and skin contains less than 0.5% fat.
I know, I said that, although maybe I could have been more clear that I got it from the nutrition panel. Unfortunately, it was the best I could get off the carton. There was no milkfat content on the whole milk carton, only on the one percent. As no one had answered and it's a slow Sunday, I was only trying to help.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I don't get this Whole milk was 4% and now it's 12%?
More than cream?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130628_093228.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	18162