"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question How to thicken vegetable puree without using potatoes?

I tried mixing different types of vegetables to see if it would thicken up, but it doesn't! It stays watery and honestly it looks and tastes awful. I'm diabetic so there's no way I can add potatoes to my puree. Please help!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Master Chef

I am not sure how you would be able to do it without some type of starch or maybe cream.

A thickener won't improve the taste or the looks.

What vegetables are you working with.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I am not sure how you would be able to do it without some type of starch or maybe cream.

A thickener won't improve the taste or the looks.

What vegetables are you working with.
I use leek, tomato, carrot, zucchini, onion, among others.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Don't puree them so long and leave some substance for thickness. If you're adding water, don't. Or freeze the mix and then make a thick slushy. Other than juice and fiber, there's not much in the vegetables you list that will thicken your puree. Can you heat it and add a bit of corn starch if you really need it "thickened".
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Master Chef

Aren't there diabetic safe starches? I am sorry that I don't know more about this but if they exist they might be utilized to thicken.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Master Chef

I agree with Oldvine.

I would try steaming them in a covered frying pan with a couple tablespoons of water added. When the vegetables begin to soften and release some juice I would remove the cover and allow the moisture to evaporate. A wide shallow frying pan will help increase the rate of evaporation. Then I would use a slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken the remaining liquid. A tablespoon of cornstarch has about seven carbs and will slightly thicken about three cups of liquid. Try using a little at a time until you get the desired thickness. I would use a teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with a tablespoon of water to start with, That would increase your carb count by a little more than two grams.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks!

You've all been sooo helpful, thank you!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Arrowroot is a thickener and is diabetic-friendly. I wonder if it would work? I've not used it. Also, maybe some type of gelatin?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneMorgan View Post
I tried mixing different types of vegetables to see if it would thicken up, but it doesn't! It stays watery and honestly it looks and tastes awful. I'm diabetic so there's no way I can add potatoes to my puree. Please help!
Are you Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic? I understand your concern in controlling your carbs, but you do need some as they have a lot of nutrients that a diabetic needs. Potatoes are loaded with vitamins and other minerals that your body needs. It is not the enemy that so many diabetics think it is. There are potatoes that have less starch than others. You can use a waxy potato like a Red Skin. Or even a Yukon Gold. The Idaho Russet is loaded with starch. Stay away from that one. New potatoes and Fingerlings are also low in starch as they haven't had time for the starch to develop.

Have you ever constulted with a Licensed Diatician? It is really worth it. Ask if she/he has been trained for Diabetic Foods. They have a special course that runs for more than a week.

Words from a Type 2 diabetic that was able to get off insulin and control my sugar levels now just by diet alone. And I do eat potatoes.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Pumpkin pulp.
It has little flavor and thickens a lot.

olmoelisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
potatoes