I'm glad the jalapenos were gone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Pickled japs are a standard hotdog topping. None in the fridge!:ohmy: So I go rooting in the pantry. No japs there either!:ohmy: However, I found a jar of peppadews we bought a few months ago. Never had them before. I think what the heck, pop the lid and try one. Hello Baby!:yum: Why did I wait so long to try these? Sweet with just a nice amount of heat.

O my, Yesss!:D

I discovered these delicacies at the grocer's olive deli section round about Christmas time. Used them in salads for a bright bit of red mixed in with some greens. The ones I got were still kind of firm pickled peppers, not over cooked and were in a sort of sweet vinegary sauce. I didn't know they come in jars. I will have to look for these.

Well there's no pain in those things at all. Where's the fun?

1428855612_dce3c7f39d.jpg

Sadly, my grocery rarely gets any red jalapenos.

I have at least one large fresh jalapeno, chopped, with each evening meal.

Well there's no pain in those things at all. Where's the fun?

1428855612_dce3c7f39d.jpg

Sadly, my grocery rarely gets any red jalapenos.

I have at least one large fresh jalapeno, chopped, with each evening meal.

Huh? I don't understand. Are you suggesting that peppadews are red japs? I thought they were an African developed variety. The fresh jap I bought the other day had the same heat as a green bell.

Red jalapenos are green jalapenos that have been allowed to ripen longer. One of my latest favorite things to do with jalapenos is to grate them and add to cole slaw.

Wow, a jalapeño virgin! :)

I'm tempted to post my description of PW's BBQ jalapeño poppers. :) (Jalapeños, cut in half and seeds removed, then filled with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, wrapped in bacon, brushed with BBQ sauce, then baked for about an hour. I haven't tried them yet but just reading the recipe I know they'll be good!) Oops... I guess I just posted it. ;)

Last edited:
pioneer woman is now taking credit for atomic buffalo turds?? sheesh.. soon she'll post a recipe for chicken wings in hot sauce and butter with celery and blue cheese dressing. pioneer woman's smack my butt wings from the trail, or something like that.

lol, just kidding.

it's been my experience that of the jalapenos from my garden, the red jalapenos are not as hot as green ones. it's like they lost some heat and got a little sweeter.

Last edited:
Huh? I don't understand. Are you suggesting that peppadews are red japs? I thought they were an African developed variety. The fresh jap I bought the other day had the same heat as a green bell.

You are right, the peppadew is more round, smaller, and a very mild mannered pepper. I love em, great on just about anything, and perfect for stuffing.

Ok, I still don't understand the references jalapenos, green or red, when talking about peppadews. If I were talking about red japs, it would be about chipotles.

Ok, I still don't understand the references jalapenos, green or red, when talking about peppadews. If I were talking about red japs, it would be about chipotles.

Chipolte are smoked (dried) jalapenos. Some come canned in adobo sauce, some are sold whole, in bags.

The color of the pepper changes depending on how long it's left on the plant. Green = young, red = more mature.

Last edited:
Chipolte are smoked (dried) jalapenos. Some come canned in adobo sauce, some are sold whole, in bags.

The color of the pepper changes depending on how long it's left on the plant. Green = young, red = more mature.

Whats with the japs? Been using them for years. My original post is regarding peppadews.:rolleyes: If I want extreme heat, I'll get some bhut jolokia or whatever the one that recently past the ghost on the heat scale.

Last edited:
Guess there's some confusion going on... I was just trying to point out that a red jalapeno is not "chipolte".

I too, discovered peppadews in an olive bar at our local co-op. It was love at first bite! I use them in pasta salad and on sandwiches. Might have to try stuffing them one of these days with some chicken salad for something different.

Great read about pappadews @ Garden of Eaden.

Gotcha! I meant that if I were to talk about red japs, it would be in their most recognized form, smoked and in adobo, chipotles. I've used the dried chipotle, seeded, toasted and ground into a powder. I prefer making my chili powder with various dried chilis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom