"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Instead of Queso Fresco?

I've been having some trouble finding a good substitution for this cheese . I understand it's some spanish-american thing? I got the impression that you have it in the US, but the chance of finding it in Sweden is close to none. I read somewhere that it works to use a very mild feta instead, but is there some other cheese you can recommend?

I'm sure this kind of cheese exists in Sweden, but under a different name, so it will be hard to find... Any idea if there's something similar in Europe?

PiecesOfGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Head Chef
queso fresco = queso de metate Notes: Mexican cooks like to crumble this mild grainy cheese onto soups, salads, casseroles, and bean dishes. It softens but doesn't melt when heated. Where to find: Mexican grocery stores Substitutes: Mixequal parts cottage cheese and feta cheese OR farmer cheese OR cotija cheese OR feta cheese (similar texture but saltier) OR queso anejo OR mild goat cheese OR paneer OR ricotta cheese OR jack cheese
Cook's Thesaurus: Fresh Cheeses

Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Master Chef
Please don't use lutefisk!

Jenny <--- svenska flicka
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
I've always just used feta, but mixing it with cottage or farmer's cheese is probably more authentic. I've never used lutefisk in place of queso fresco, and I have to concur with jennyema in asking you to please not do so
Fearless Kitchen
Fearless Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
Thank you very much :) I know for sure that we have both cottage cheese and feta over here so I will definetly use that combination.

And I can honestly promise that I won't use any "lutfisk", especially since it's a peruvian dessert I'm going to make x) For a cookery book, no less, so I'm afraid people will be a little confused if they read walnuts, molasses, orange juice, aniseed, cloves, sweet wine, bread, butter and lutefisk in the same list of ingredients... I know I would be...
PiecesOfGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
I use Monterey Jack as a sub for queso fresco. HTH.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote