Instead of Queso Fresco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiecesOfGlass

Assistant Cook
I've been having some trouble :bangin: finding a good substitution for this cheese . I understand it's some spanish-american thing? I got the impression that you have it in the US, but the chance of finding it in Sweden is close to none. I read somewhere that it works to use a very mild feta instead, but is there some other cheese you can recommend?

I'm sure this kind of cheese exists in Sweden, but under a different name, so it will be hard to find... Any idea if there's something similar in Europe? :bunny:

quesofresco.jpg
queso fresco = queso de metate Notes: Mexican cooks like to crumble this mild grainy cheese onto soups, salads, casseroles, and bean dishes. It softens but doesn't melt when heated. Where to find: Mexican grocery stores Substitutes: Mixequal parts cottage cheese and feta cheese OR farmer cheese OR cotija cheese OR feta cheese (similar texture but saltier) OR queso anejo OR mild goat cheese OR paneer OR ricotta cheese OR jack cheese

Cook's Thesaurus: Fresh Cheeses

I've always just used feta, but mixing it with cottage or farmer's cheese is probably more authentic. I've never used lutefisk in place of queso fresco, and I have to concur with jennyema in asking you to please not do so;)

Thank you very much :) I know for sure that we have both cottage cheese and feta over here so I will definetly use that combination. :chef:

And I can honestly promise that I won't use any "lutfisk", especially since it's a peruvian dessert I'm going to make x) For a cookery book, no less, so I'm afraid people will be a little confused if they read walnuts, molasses, orange juice, aniseed, cloves, sweet wine, bread, butter and lutefisk in the same list of ingredients... I know I would be...

Back
Top Bottom