ISO - Oil Substitute for Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yummy tummy

Assistant Cook
Hello... I have been making a carrot cake which is yummy..But I would like to make a low fat version.

I am looking to you cooking pros to help me.. because i do not know what fat does in a recipe and how to sub.

my cake recipe is VERY simple.

1/3 C oil ( have been using coconut oil)
3/4 cups honey ( do not want regular sugar..am happy with honey sub)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
1 cup flour
1 tsp bak soda
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

i would like to make it a non fat cake..or with as little fat or oil as possible. I want a different oil from coconut oil, also..
safflower oil? sunflower oil?
would this be possible?

many thanks
yum

Last edited:
That isn't a large amount of fat.

Fat adds moistness to cake. Fat also adds to the tenderness of cake. Fat coats the flour helping to keep gluten from developing, creating a more tender crumb.

Many people substitute apple sauce for the fat in quick breads and some cake. This will keep it moist, but you will end up with a cake that is a bit more dense, less tender and a bit more sweet, sometimes a gummy texture.

If you want to experiment, you could substitute 1/2 of the oil with applesauce.

As far as the type of oil, you can use any oil with a neutral flavor.

Thank you

Thank you so much bakingbetter..!!!

I so much appreciate your prompt, and "easy to understand" ( from a non-cook's perspective)(which is what I am)..response.

i will indeed try the half applesauce idea..sounds great.
carrots and apples go well together !!

thanks again,
yum

This is definitely the right type of batter to make this type of substitution. Let us know how it works out!

I will have to add, in my experience, that adding an equal amount of applesauce to the oil/fat in a recipe hasn't seemed to alter any of the end product/texture, etc. that I added the applesauce to.

What I would suggest is, if you have time, try the full substitution of applesauce and then see if the sub makes any difference to you. That's what really counts.

You can use all sorts of fruit and vegetable purees to replace the oil in baked goods.

Many recipes use commercial baby food as the replacement. IMO it is just as easy to buzz up some cooked carrots, cooked squash, ripe bananas, canned fruit, etc... in the blender.

Most of the recipes I've seen replace the amount of solid fat with 1/2 to 2/3 the amount of puree, with oil replace it 1 for 1. IMO the texture of the baked goods suffer when all fat is eliminated. I would rather have the real deal less often. Experiment a little and see what works best for you can your family.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Your recipe doesn't really use a lot of oil compared to other carrot cake recipes. I have more than a few recipes that call for at least 1-1/4 cups of oil and more.

Trimming fats and oils is a good idea, but I think to keep the cake close to the recipe that my family enjoys, I would try to keep some of the coconut oil in the batter. Keep us posted as to your results.

Thank you all !!

I LOVE this forum !!! Thank you!! Did I mention that i tried several cooking forums and my questions ( which were not all that complicated ) remained unanswered for the most part.

I am very very very grateful, believe me, for any help you can give.

Well, the report is that i just tried the recipe. I took a 1/3 cup measure and filled it half with sunflower oil and half with cinnamon applesauce.

mixed the batter as usual.
The final consistency was almost identical, but the cake rose higher !

it is cooling now.

I bake things for a lady friend of mine and her family.

She has been using coconut oil in a big way for the past little while.
( Did you know that coconut oil is said to help alzheimers.??
something about how it helps the brain receptors or something.
I have an article on it.. but that is for another venue.!!)

Her last check up with the doctor gave her a high cholesterol reading and coconut oil is the only saturated fat she eats.. Her family are all vegetarian/vegan.

So I am trying to cut out the sat fat.. and go for sunflower or other oils.

I think the cake is going to work well with the substitutions:LOL:
Thank you again.

I am going to post another question about something else she requested, but will keep this thread dedicated.

I will also report if the taste test works for my friend.. and whether this cake is more chewy than the other.( which I think it might well be).

Thank you again to all.
I guess I am profuse in that.. but I am not a cook and ...well, :glare:
appreciative.

yum

ugh..prognosis not so good.

I delivered the cake to the intended recipient.. substituted sunflower oil and applesauce( half and half of each)(to make 1/3 cup) (substituted for 1/3 cup coconut oil).. The lady to whom I gave the cake said :"UGH".. it was sticky and gooey and stuck to her teeth. ( compared to the carrot cake with the coconut oil, which she loves).

i just wanted to post the results..

In this particular cake, I think the coconut oil in the original recipe makes it a more tender crumb and less sticky final product.

back to the drawing board.

thanks to all.
yum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom