ISO possible substitute for grappa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have several holiday recipes that call for grappa. Only a few tablespoons each. We don't have any and a bottle of it is $44 here. What can I use as a (fairly) close substitute?
Katie,
grappa is what my m-i-l use to call a settle your tummy or digestive..It is considered an Itlaian brandy.I've subed some brandy for it not much just a little but, being it is from grapes and stems, I bet you could use some wine with no ill effect.

kadesmaj

I have several holiday recipes that call for grappa. Only a few tablespoons each. We don't have any and a bottle of it is $44 here. What can I use as a (fairly) close substitute?
:)So what kind of recipes call for it,makes it easier to find a substitute.

:)Well that should be an easy one, use some good rum or for extra flavor Grand Marnier or Amaretto or maybe my least favorite bourbon.In baking its easy to exchange liquors

k.t.e., grappas are clear but are often served flavored by soaking fruit in them. pear or plum seems to be the most common ones i've seen.

they're very high in alcohol content, and are harsh until aged and flavored. i would go with a high alcohol content white rum, or even a vodka.

I think maybe gasoline may be a substitute. Just kidding. Not a fan of grappa.

Grappa is a distilled booze.

Substitute at lib with anything else - but think about the taste.

The taste should be something you would find pleasant in your dish.

That, at least to me, is what cooking is all about.

hmm, i'm not much of a brandy drinker. do they make clear brandies?

i think that it's interesting that a recipe called for grappa. it sounds like a rustic italian/european-ish recipe, because grappa would have been readily available after the wine making process, and would be cheap enough to cook with. other, more refined liquors might be thought of as too expensive, but grappa is made in the garage.

:)Grappa is incredibly harsh if you have any kirsch wasser a cherry liquour from Germany it will work as well although I have never tasted any fruit flavor in the German fruit liquors and bad hangovers as well at least the ones ones I had in Germany very strong in taste much harsher then any whiskey or other liquor in the states.

Last edited:
hmm, i'm not much of a brandy drinker. do they make clear brandies?

i think that it's interesting that a recipe called for grappa. it sounds like a rustic italian/european-ish recipe, because grappa would have been readily available after the wine making process, and would be cheap enough to cook with. other, more refined liquors might be thought of as too expensive, but grappa is made in the garage.

Yes, bucky. The recipe is a northern Italian one.

:)Grappa is incredibly harsh if you have any kirsch wasser a cherry liquour from Germany it will work as well although I have never tasted any fruit flavor in the German fruit liquors and bad hangovers as well at least the ones ones I had in Germany very strong in taste much harsher then any whiskey or other liquor in the states.

I love grappa. Good grappa, that is. I borught back a few bottle the last time I was in Italy and they are gone now :(

Rum and Vodka and regular Brandy would be very poor subs, IMO, as they are nothing like grappa. Rum and Vodka aren't made from grapes and regular Brandy is usually aged in wood and tastes "oaky." Grappa is clear.

I'd agree with jpmcgrew that Kirsch would be a much better sub. Or Williams (pear). They taste much more like Grappa than anything else, IMO. I love both of them, too, esp. Williams. You can make other things with them too.

I find slivovits to have a similar flavor. Yes, clear brandies. Slivovitz is made from plums, grappa from grapes. Both are quite harsh, but I like them.

I picked up a small bottle of grappa at Christmas..Just opened it to try ..Strong yes, but I enjoyed sipping a small amount as we had some anise biscotti..It was quiet pleasant.
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom