ISO substitute for brown sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would probably hit epicurious or all recipes for a simpler brown sauce recipe, or seek out a packaged product if you have time enough before you need to start cooking.

Sorry I am no help on adjusting your recipe or offering an alternative.

It would help if you would post the recipe for the brown sauce. It's difficult to suggest a substitute without knowing the ingredients - that gives an idea of how it's supposed to taste.

Do you mean brown sauce like the kind they use at breakfast and such in the UK? If so, try a mild-flavored spicy-vinegary barbecue sauce (go easy on the tomato), or even an A1 sauce or other kind of steak sauce.

Psssst---don't tell anyone but use a package and add a little garlic and onion powder to it----really improves the flavor a lot---gravies and I curdle at the sight of each other

Psssst---don't tell anyone but use a package and add a little garlic and onion powder to it----really improves the flavor a lot---gravies and I curdle at the sight of each other

I wish I had that problem!
Gravies and I would run away from home together....:pig:

My Pork Madagascar recipe call for a brown sauce which is very complicated. Any substitituions for brown sauce? tks

Well, Jules - "brown" is a catagory of sauce - so without knowing what your recipe calls for it is kind of hard to give you any ideas on simplifying and yet retaining the flavor of the original recipe. Technically, soy sauce is a "brown" sauce, so is "A-! steak sauce", oyster sauce is also a brown sauce .... none have similar flavors.

Back
Top Bottom