ISO Substitute for Fennel Bulb and Seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryankimjade

Assistant Cook
I have a new recipe that I want to try, although it calls for fennel bulb and seeds. Since I do not have these I went to the nearest grocery store, but they didn't have any either. I wonder if I could just use celery instead, or does anyone else have a better idea? Oh, the main ingredient is pork.

I have a new recipe that I want to try, although it calls for fennel bulb and seeds. Since I do not have these I went to the nearest grocery store, but they didn't have any either. I wonder if I could just use celery instead, or does anyone else have a better idea? Oh, the main ingredient is pork.

Celery will fill the space intended for the fennel. Fennel and the seeds have a licorice taste you won't get from celery.

See if you can find some anise at the store. It also has a liquorish flavor.

btw the fennel bulb would have been in fresh produce and the seeds in the spice aisle. Didn't know if you knew that or not.

See if you can find some anise at the store. It also has a liquorish flavor.

btw the fennel bulb would have been in fresh produce and the seeds in the spice aisle. Didn't know if you knew that or not.
yes I did know where to find the ingredients, but I went to my local Wal-Mart, which is a grocery store too, they did have the dried herb but not the vegetable bulb. Although they are a super center with groceries, there are many things that they do not carry.

Celery will fill the space intended for the fennel. Fennel and the seeds have a licorice taste you won't get from celery.
I am not really sure as to why I chose this recipe because I really do not know that I would like the licorice flavor, I guess that I was just trying to broaden my horizons. Actually the rest of the recipe sounds great, and I think that the celery would work well with the other ingredients.

I am not really sure as to why I chose this recipe because I really do not know that I would like the licorice flavor, I guess that I was just trying to broaden my horizons. Actually the rest of the recipe sounds great, and I think that the celery would work well with the other ingredients.

Go ahead and make the dish. It will be tasty but different from the original. If you like it, think about making it with the fennel next time. The licorice flavor is not overpowering.

Go ahead and make the dish. It will be tasty but different from the original. If you like it, think about making it with the fennel next time. The licorice flavor is not overpowering.
Yes, I will make it with celery this time and then make sure that I have the fennel next time. I do have friends that make homemade sausage with fennel seed and I love it. I have not been on this website for a long time, and now I don't know why, I love it here. I had a question for a dinner that I was cooking today and I got an imediate response. Thank you so much, and I plan on hanging around here much more. Kim

I know that this is probably not what you want to hear, but if I were you, I'd shelve this recipe until you have the proper ingredients.

Normally, subbing ingredients isn't much of a problem, but if a recipe calls for BOTH fennel seed AND fennel bulb, you can bet the rent that the scent/taste of fennel is important to the success of the finished product. Sort of like making duck with cherry or orange sauce without the cherries or the oranges.

You "might" get away with just the fennel seed combined with celery to provide the texture - if not the flavor - of fennel bulb, but to have neither & just use celery wouldn't cut it in my book.

As one who doesn't appreciate the taste of anise, licorice, fennel or seed, I think it would be delicious made with celery. I'm even careful of Italian sausage because so many include so much fennel, a taste I really don't like.

if there is an italian community anywhere near you go to the market. we use a lot of Finocchio (fenell) bulbs, stalks and seeds.

I have to agree with Msmofet.
As wal-marts are limited in what they stock, they cater to a certain clientel, I'd look around for a more..cook friendly grocer.

Sorry, but in reality you can't just write off all WalMarts as being "limited in what they stock". Limitations in stock vary from store to store. Our WalMart here in Culpeper nearly always has fennel bulbs - along with other "cook friendly" produce & other ingredients in stock. In fact, I'm more likely to find fennel at my local WalMart than I am at the other pricier grocers in town.

I'm also more likely to find a large variety of fresh peppers (Poblanos, Anaheims, Cubanelles), yucca, horseradish, daikon radish, dried peppers (at least half a dozen different types), eggroll/wonton/potsticker skins, lots of tofu selections, a larger variety of chicken & turkey parts - actually the list is endless as to what our local WalMart carries that other local markets don't. And at much better prices to boot.

Sorry, but my "cooking friendly" choices would be a lot poorer if not for our local WalMart.

Yeah, we have 3 Super-Walmarts within 10 miles of us and none of the 3 are very good at having anything like those things in stock, and neither did the dozen or so Walmarts we went to in Texas. So with our experience just in the past year with 15+ Walmart's and their stock, I believe we can honestly say a good amount of Walmarts do not in fact carry good variety "cook friendly" foods. We have better luck with our regular groceries like Publix in Florida and Tom Thumb in Texas, so in reality, we can rule out many Walmarts as having "cook quality" foods since we've been to such a wide geological variety in the past year and have seen nearly identical stores everywhere we go. Culpepper must be the mecca for Walmarts.

I'm sure I'm being repetitive, but any herb with that anise/licorice flavor would do for the seeds or greens, especially tarragon if you're a newbie to the flavor and want to start mild. The bulb ... if you can get celeriac it would be a good sub, but if you, like me, are limited in your shopping options, I'd think celery would give a good texture. The bulb has only the lightest of licorice flavor.

It was one of my favorite cooking stories. A friend was making us dinner, and he called because my neighborhood Publix had a rep for being more gourmet than the grocery stores in his. "Would you swing by and see if they have any fennel?" My husband and I started laughing. I'd never had it before, but had picked up some dying plants at the local nursery and they were beautiful. We were looking at them, wondering what to do with them just that morning! He cracked up. So we harvested, he cooked (I believe he braised slices in white wine and lemon). I really didn't know what to do with them because my husband isn't crazy about licorice flavor, but it is very mild and I've done it a few times since (although I've never been able to grow it again!).

like i said if there is a large amount of italians in the area go to a market any market in that area and check it out. store owners don't want to lose money so they stock what the people in the area want and use the most.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom