ISO substitutions for alcohol.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacky77

Senior Cook
Ok, so the background to this is that my partner is a recovering alcoholic and he will not eat foods that have been cooked with alcohol. I'd like to make some foods that call for dry sherry and the such but can't. Does anyone have a way they deal with this?
**by the way he understands that the alcohol has been cooked off (as do I) but it's more a matter of preference to not eat foods that have been made with alcohol.

Last edited:
Actually, the alcohol does not cook off. Google alcohol cook off chart to see what I mean.

You can use alcohol-free wine.
Also, low sodium chicken broth with some lemon juice or lime juice.

The substitutions really depend on what you are making and why the recipe calls for the alcohol. Sometimes the alcohol is there I'd bring out certain alcohol soluble flavors. Alcohol is the only thing that will work in those cases. Think penne ala vodka. In cases like that it is better to pick a different recipe to make.

merstar-this shows how much i don't drink-i thought alcohol free wine was grape juice!

GB-ofcourse i'd stay away from the obvious such as that. but braising sometimes calls for red wine and some recipes call for sherry...i usually skip it, but i often feel like i'm missing a flavor.

totally agree with you andy. I make lots of food without alcohol, but always wondered what i could add to give it that sorta flavor i'm missing from what i omitted...

totally agree with you andy. I make lots of food without alcohol, but always wondered what i could add to give it that sorta flavor i'm missing from what i omitted...
Depends on wht you'd like to have. I somtimes divide a dish that has wine grandkids want to be my taste testers so one for them without for adults with you can do this easily.I'm sure dh will love you for thinking of him and you can get a taste of somthing like sweet marsala and knw what it's like.
kadesmai

well i only cook for myself, him and the roomie...so that would be a lot of seperate foods to make..But i could make myself a dish a la alcohol one night when he's not home or something.....

well i only cook for myself, him and the roomie...so that would be a lot of seperate foods to make..But i could make myself a dish a la alcohol one night when he's not home or something.....
it sure would. but make something for you when you know they will be away and you can play
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom