ISO Thyme Substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im making Blackened Tilapia

[SIZE=+1]Blackened Tilapia[/SIZE]
4-6 Tilapia
2 Tbls. Paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon pepper
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp ground red pepper
1.5 tsp. dried, crushed basil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 c. unsalted butter, melted
Heat iron skillet on high 5 minutes. Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Dip fillets in melted butter and coat with seasonings. Place fillets in hot skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side. Makes 4 servings.

Do you have any Cajun/Creole Seasoning in house?? Use it!
I don't know of a real subsitute, but if I found myself in your situation I'd probably dash on a little oregano...not the same as thyme, but y'all will enjoy the fish anyway!!

Have Fun!

Im making Blackened Tilapia

[SIZE=+1]Blackened Tilapia[/SIZE]
4-6 Tilapia
2 Tbls. Paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon pepper
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp ground red pepper
1.5 tsp. dried, crushed basil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 c. unsalted butter, melted
Heat iron skillet on high 5 minutes. Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Dip fillets in melted butter and coat with seasonings. Place fillets in hot skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side. Makes 4 servings.​

This looks like the recipe I tried... it was good, but sure did smoke up the house!

I pick the fresh leaves in the garden but to my palete the rosemary is closer to the thyme than the greek oregano in my garden. To me thyme and rosemary both have a piney herbal edge to the flavor. I spilled the thyme seed by accident on the bricks of the patio that are set in quarry grit. The stuff grew like crazy. We walked on it as we used the patio. Just lost it all to the siding contractor that shoveled up the debries on the patio. I hope it will come back from the roots or its own reseeding.

For that recipe you might be fine just omitting it. In my experience herb flavors often get lost in blackened dishes due to the other strong ingredients used, unless there's an unusually high proportion of herb in the dish. If you have Italian Seasoning that would also work as well as the other suggestions.

I think I have read that thyme is the wild version of oregano, or vice versa. Related anyway.

Back
Top Bottom