Jiffy cake mix - don't have it....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twyla

Assistant Cook
i need a substitution for jiffy cake mix. i had a cornbread receipe that calls for this and cannot find it. any ideas? twyla

There is no substitute for Jiffy cake mix. It is unique. Duncan Hines makes half size cake mixes (they call them cupcake mixes) that are the size equivalent of Jiffy cake mixes, but they don't taste the same. I can find both at the 99¢ Only Store, but they don't appear to have any stores in Louisiana. Did you try your local Wally World super store? I understand they carry Jiffy mixes.

I'd suggest the Marie Callender's cornbread mixes in a can, which should be available at your local supermarket. They are very good, for a mix.

MEDIUM_8a78c6e02140d931012146b08c2b1195.jpg

Last edited:
Martha White makes a cornbread mix, but check out the basic recipe. It's really easy.

My grandmother developed a Jiffy Cake mix substitute that was a pretty good copy:
1/2 C oil (using melted butter tastes better, but is not as much like the mix)
1 egg
1/2 C milk
1t vanilla (or lemon) extract
1 1/2 C AP flour
2t baking powder
1t salt
1/2 C sugar

Mix the wet together; mix the dry together; mix the 2 together. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes in a greased layer pan.

It is not a *great* cake, but it was pretty indistinguishable from the mix, at least as it was formulated in the 60's. I still use it in a pinch to create a nearly instant dessert for dinner that needs to grow at the last minute. My trick is to put a can of fruit in the bottom of a glass bowl and pour the cake batter over the fruit. Haven't done it in a few years, but your post reminded me of how handy a trick that copy cat is.

The Make A Mix cookbook has a great variety of homemade mixes including a cake mix. Do you want me to post it ?

Nora, I copied your recipe. I'm always looking for small desserts so we don't end up eating the same thing for ages.

Joesfolk, enjoy! As I say, it is not the best cake ever made, but it is a pretty forgiving and quick recipe. If you want to make a chocolate version, either add melted chocolate and reduce the butter by 1/2 of the chocolate volume and the milk by the same as the chocolate volume milk or add cocoa and reduce the flour, but add half as much butter as cocoa - really good over a can of cherry pie filling, served hot with the dairy of your choice. Also try spicing it up with ginger and serve with a hot lemon sauce.

ALL PURPOSE CAKE MIX
Use like a packaged/boxed cake mix.

10 cups flour
6 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
5 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 1/2 cups shortening

Mix flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Blend in shortening until crumbly. Spoon into 20 cup container with lid and store in fridge or freezer (unless your shortening is shelf-stable like Crisco). Use within three months and makes about 17 cups.

YELLOW CAKE
5 cups All-Purpose Cake Mix
1 1/4 cup milk or other liquid
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 eight or nine inch pans, or one 9 by 13 pan.

In large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well with mixer. Bake for half an hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. (Recipe can be halved.)

SNACK CAKE MIX
Use like a packaged/boxed cake mix.

8 3/4 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 tablespoon salt
5 1/4 cups sugar

Combine all ingredients in bowl and divide into six portions, if desired. Each one is one cake mix or 13 1/2 cups mix total. Use within three months. Is shelf stable and does not have to be frozen or refrigerated.

APPLESAUCE SNACK CAKE
Even better a day later!

1 package Snack Cake Mix (about 2 1/3 cups)
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325. Mix all ingredient in bowl with fork and bake 35-45 minutes in 8 or 9 inch pan until center tests clean. Makes about 9 servings.

PEACH COBBLER
Substitute fruit as you like.

1/4 cup oil
3 cups or 28 oz. can peaches, drained
1 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
3/4 cup milk or other liquid
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract

Preheat oven to 350. In an 11 by 17 inch baking pan, put your oil, fruit, and spice. Stir to coat fruit. Mix all other ingredients and pour over fruit and bake for about 30 minutes or until cake is set. Makes 8 servings.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE SNACK CAKE

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup water
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour an 8” pan. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another and then mix all together. Sprinkle the nuts and chips over batter.

Bake 35-45 minutes until surface springs back when touched. Makes 9 servings.

BANANA WALNUT SNACK CAKE
Sprinkle with powdered sugar over a doily for decoration!

1 egg
1/3 cup oil
1 mashed banana, about 1/2 cup
1/2 cup nuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients in bowl with fork and bake 35-45 minutes in 8 or 9 inch pan until center tests clean. Makes about 9 servings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom