"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I defer to those with more Asian cooking experience than I have, and hope I can find some kaffir lime leaves soon I'm going to try real hard to get hold of a lemongrass plant this spring.
If you have a green thumb, I am told you can sprout a stalk of lemongrass now and then plant it in the spring.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

you can sprout a lemongrass..look for one that seems to have most of the stem intact..if it has root, even better..
I let mine sit in glass of water near a sunny window till it sprouted..then planted it outside..
Kaffir lime leaves - I use leaves of my meyer lemon plant sometimes..or I think lime zest would work..

Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Like others have said, there are a ton of places online where you can buy all sorts of asian ingredients, from Indian to Thai. Most of them ship cheaply (that is, if you're in the UK or USA, unfortunately for me). I've even bought international ingredients of all kinds from eBay.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
If you have a green thumb, I am told you can sprout a stalk of lemongrass now and then plant it in the spring.
I bought a couple of stalks of lemongrass yesterday to try and sprout them. I looked at *all* the samples in the bin Most seemed fairly dried out, but I got a pair and have them in water. If they don't sprout in a couple of weeks, DH stopped by a local garden store yesterday, too, and they will have lemongrass plants in early April
Old 03-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I bought a couple of stalks of lemongrass yesterday to try and sprout them. I looked at *all* the samples in the bin Most seemed fairly dried out, but I got a pair and have them in water. If they don't sprout in a couple of weeks, DH stopped by a local garden store yesterday, too, and they will have lemongrass plants in early April

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I had two plants (that I bought as baby plants) last year and they threw off over 150 stalks, most of which is in my freezer.

I think I should have split them earlier or something becasue the stalks, though plentiful, are thin.

It's really easy to grow and likes lots of heat and water.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Just FYI re: the lime leaves, I can't believe I forgot I have this but last fall I bought a used copy of "Madhur Jaffrey's Far Eastern Cookery." In a recipe for Thai Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup, she suggests using 1 tbsp. of lemon zest in place of 4 kaffir lime leaves.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I had two plants (that I bought as baby plants) last year and they threw off over 150 stalks, most of which is in my freezer.

I think I should have split them earlier or something becasue the stalks, though plentiful, are thin.

It's really easy to grow and likes lots of heat and water.
Thanks The heat should be no problem here and luckily, our house came with a well already
Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #18
Master Chef

I've successfully grown Lemon Grass in large pots outdoors in the summer here. The problem is when I bring them indoors for the winter. My cats are apparently afficionados of Asian ingredients. . . .
Old 03-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #19
Master Chef

I started with one stalk of lemongrass that had a root just showing, put it in water, and then transplanted it to a pot for a few months. Then from there to the garden. Two years later I had a lemon grass mound over a yard wide. I wonder if Kaffir limes trees grow in the Houston area?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I saw lemon grass plant for $6