Key lime juice how much to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irnbru

Assistant Cook
I am making Nigella Lawsons margarita ice-cream and for the lime juice I could only find Nellie and Joe famous lime juice. It says it is double strength on the bottle but it doesn't say on the bottle if I have to use half of any amount a recipe calls for which I take it thats the case? I need a cup of lime juice so do I use half a cup of their lime juice and half cup of water? Or do I use it full strength.

I can't believe the bottle doesn't say anything on it.

Double strength means it is twice as strong as fresh lime juice - therefore use half a cup of their lime juice then add water. :chef:

Double strength means it is twice as strong as fresh lime juice - therefore use half a cup of their lime juice then add water. :chef:
thank you :) If it doesn't work I can come back and blame you ;)
I was confused as its only a small stamp in the corner and not on the instructions but they didn't have any instructions!

If it doesn't work you must bring me the remainder of ice cream! :LOL:

:LOL:
My OH had walked in soon a'wards with some real lemon brand of lime juice so I used that but I found it a bit artificial tasting will use the other next time.
Its quite strong (I thought the lime was overpowering so doubled the alcohol which I don't think will work - to much :wacko:) so of to buy some cookie or something I can put in the glass with it to offset it.

Its a BBQ for 10 tonight so we will see how it goes :ermm:

I have never liked the plastic real lemon brand (or lime), yes, very artificial - I feel sure the Nellie and Joe brand will have a MUCH more natural flavor. Let us know how it goes "the next time" :chef:

I checked the Nellie and Joe's Famous Lime Juice website and there is no mention of their lime juice being double-strength. In reading their FAQs page, there is also no indication that it is double strength. In fact - it would indicate that it is not double strength. They show that for their lime juice: 1-2 Tablespoons = the juice from 1 key lime, 2-3 Tablespoons = the juice from 1 regular lime. If you compare this to ReaLime lime juice, which is just regular full strength, 2-3 Tablespoons = the juice from 1 medium lime, and on a volume basis is the same as fresh squeezed lime juice (ie. 1 C = 1 C).

Nellie and Joe do have a "Contact Us" button you can click and send them an email with your questions, or you can call them at 1-800-LIMEPIE for a quicker answer.

Hope this information helps.

I have never liked the plastic real lemon brand (or lime), yes, very artificial - I feel sure the Nellie and Joe brand will have a MUCH more natural flavor. Let us know how it goes "the next time" :chef:

I actually made it with the real lime stuff and found the artificial taste very overwhelming and then put more booze in it but that made it very strong. So I decided to remake it with the other key lime stuff and did water it down and it turned out really well, subtle flavours but everyone commented on how nice it was.

I now have quite a bit of the older not so nice stuff left so will slowly go through that, its OK just not as nice.

I served it with some vanilla wafers.

I checked the website and there is no mention of their lime juice being double-strength. In reading their page, there is also no indication that it is double strength. In fact - it would indicate that it is not double strength. They show that for their lime juice: 1-2 Tablespoons = the juice from 1 key lime, 2-3 Tablespoons = the juice from 1 regular lime. If you compare this to ReaLime lime juice, which is just regular full strength, 2-3 Tablespoons = the juice from 1 medium lime, and on a volume basis is the same as fresh squeezed lime juice (ie. 1 C = 1 C).

Nellie and Joe do have a "Contact Us" button you can click and send them an email with your questions, or you can call them at 1-800-LIMEPIE for a quicker answer.

Hope this information helps.

That was my problem there was no mention on their website of it being double strength just on the bottle. I did read the FAQ thanks. I am not used to key limes so appreciate the info you gave me great to know.
I did try their submit button but it didn't work for me kept trying :(
But maybe next time I won't water it down and it will be even better mmmm:)

Thank you so much for your info greatly appreciated.

We now use Nellie and Joe key lime juice instead of Real Lime or Lemon, it tastes so much better, depending on our taste you might want to experiment with it, we use it as a direct substitute and don't find it too strong.

We now use Nellie and Joe key lime juice instead of Real Lime or Lemon, it tastes so much better, depending on our taste you might want to experiment with it, we use it as a direct substitute and don't find it too strong.

After trying both I agree with you. When I used it in big quantities a cup etc though, I'd fill it most with the nellie and Joe lime juice and top the very last bit with water.

And the taste difference is amazing so much nicer than the 'real' brand lime stuff.

Back
Top Bottom