Leavening substitute challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linicx

Senior Cook
I have a cookie recipe that calls for food grade ammonium bicarbonate. O tried using baking soda, and I tried using baking powder. with disastrous results. Instead of the light melt in your mouth cookie it was like biting into hardtack. I had this recipe about 50 years. The ammonia is very difficult to find and it has a short shelf life.

FTI: The leavening is also known as 'Hartshorn" tht German bakers used 100 years ago. It smells and tastes like ammonia but dissipates during baking.

Hardness in the baked product often comes from too much early activation and/or not enough late activation. I think you need a combination of double-acting baking powder and baking soda. One important question are there any particularly acidic ingredients in the recipe?

There is a company in Norfolk, Va that has carried this in the past.
Wine and Cake Hobbies.
6527 Tidewater Drive, Norfolk, VA 23509
(757) 857-0245 ext. 22

I know they used to do mail orders. I have purchased homebrew supplies from them but it has been a while since I made beer at home.
Mrs Hoot and I will be going to Norfolk next weekend. If you like, I will see if we can pick up some and will gladly mail it to you.

What a HOOT!!!

Lo and behold!! I shoulda checked before posting.
They have a website...
Welcome To Wine & Cake Hobbies, Inc

Thank you for the kind offier. Postage for a $2.00 item is outrageous. The one I bought was made in Chicago - not terribly far from where I live.

Thanks again.

If you like sigar cooking that put the rest to shame, I will be glad to share my recipe for Amonia cookies.

Here You Are, Hoot

Thank you ! That would be great!!

Ammonia Cookies*

Cream 2 C butter and 2-1/4 Cups sugar. Stir in 3 Cups flour, 1 teaspoon Almond extract and 2 level teaspoons of FRESH Ammonia Bicarbonate. Beat well.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Form small balls and place about 1" apart on greased and floured cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to rack to cool. The bottom of this delicate cookie "firms" as it cools.

*In its natural form Ammonium Bicarbonate is as hard as concrete. It must be ground to a powder for this recipe. It can be purchased by the jar in the powdered form. It has a short shelf life. If the powder is caked in the jar, it cannot be used. Some Compounding Pharmacies sell this in the original form. Do verify age.

Ammonia Cookies*

Cream 2 C butter and 2-1/4 Cups sugar. Stir in 3 Cups flour, 1 teaspoon Almond extract and 2 level teaspoons of FRESH Ammonia Bicarbonate. Beat well.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Form small balls and place about 1" apart on greased and floured cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to rack to cool. The bottom of this delicate cookie "firms" as it cools.

*In its natural form Ammonium Bicarbonate is as hard as concrete. It must be ground to a powder for this recipe. It can be purchased by the jar in the powdered form. It has a short shelf life. If the powder is caked in the jar, it cannot be used. Some Compounding Pharmacies sell this in the original form. Do verify age.

The Ammonium Bicarbonate can also be purchased here: Welcome to Ziyad Brothers Inc.

Back
Top Bottom