Looking for Crisco substitute for pie crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GLC, you mean you might try that? Because I live clear across the continent on Long Island, off the coat of NYC.

GotGarlic, will chicken fat make a good pie crust? In chickens, BTW, legally, free range can mean scrabbling in the dirt in, or just in front of the barn. It isn't at all what any reasonable person would think consider to be free range. The chicken's diet would still be most likely primarily corn. I din't know anyone who raises chickens.

Given the ongoing changes in US demographics, manteca should become increasingly available. Goya's products are generally of good quality and somewhat widely available.

But I think Goya monteca is still just hydrogenated lard, little or no different from Armour, which has always been commonly available.

When we talk about lard as misunderstood and as perhaps a healthier fat than some we thought better, we are talking about plain rendered lard, and for less porky flavor, plain rendered leaf lard, of which there are few sources, outside of local artisans.

One that ships is:

https://www.prairiepridepork.com/leaflard.php

Somewhat pricey, but the going rate in my area from local artisans is $10/pint.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for it. But what exactly is leaf lard?
Lard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lard can be obtained from any part of the pig as long as there is a high concentration of fatty tissue. The highest grade of lard, known as leaf lard, is obtained from the "flare" visceral fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard has little pork flavor, making it ideal for use in baked goods, where it is valued for its ability to produce flaky, moist pie crusts.

GotGarlic, will chicken fat make a good pie crust? In chickens, BTW, legally, free range can mean scrabbling in the dirt in, or just in front of the barn. It isn't at all what any reasonable person would think consider to be free range. The chicken's diet would still be most likely primarily corn. I din't know anyone who raises chickens.

I honestly don't know. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it :) There's a farm that sells beef and chicken at our local farmer's market that says their chickens are pasture-raised: Broken Arrows Farm: Products. I mentioned it in case you have something similar close to you.

How about changing the crust to one that is a graham cracker crust or perhaps using phyllo dough?

If you are really seeking a healthier pie, consider a graham cracker crust filled with fresh blueberries coated in a glaze such as one made from crushed blueberries, a little bit of sugar, water, and cornstarch. To be honest, I love fresh pies made with uncooked fruit coated with glaze much better than cooked fruit pies when it comes to peach, blueberry, or strawberry. :yum:

If you are set on cooked fruit with a crust, consider phyllo. Or perhaps something like a crepe.

Just an idea!

Good ideas, Kathleen!

Just curious, how would duck fat do in pie crust? I've never had it, but it's a fave of many here. There's been mention of chicken fat for cookies and such.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom