"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 12-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Question Macadamia nuts

I have a brittle recipe that calls for macadamia nuts. I checked several stores and cannot find them. Is there another nut that I can use instead?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You could use just about any nut in place of the macs. I'd try blanched almonds.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

Sometimes they are found with the candy and cocktail nuts instead of in the cooking nut section. Almonds are a great substitute.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

You can use any nut you want ... it just won't be macadamia nut brittle if you do. Peanuts are common in brittle - I've used black walnuts and pecans just to do something different.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Cashews would be the closest in texture and depth of flavor.

Walgreens Drug Store carries macadamias in the nut/snack section.

My family owns 10-1/2 acres of macadamia nut trees on the big island of Hawaii, just up-slope from Hilo. Whoever goes next, has to bring back a duffle bag of husked, but unshelled nuts. The grandkids then sit on the deck with a cinderblock and hammer, and shell them. Of course we only see a portion of them at first because the kids do a "One for me and one for you..." But that only lasts for a while. Macadamias, in large quantities, have a laxative effect! LOL!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I checked the baking and produce sections of a couple grocery stores yesterday, but I never thought to check the snack aisle. I went back out today, stopping at Walmart first to pick up a couple things. Ironically enough, I found them in the baking section at Walmart. Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I usually can find macadamia nuts in the snack aisle at walgreens.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

Hey, Selkie, my daughter just moved (beginning of Nov.( to the big island, and is working at a coffee, macadamia nut farm for room and board!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I thought most macadamia nuts came from HI, but these were from South Africa.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Hey, Selkie, my daughter just moved (beginning of Nov.( to the big island, and is working at a coffee, macadamia nut farm for room and board!
Ohhhh... Hawaiian coffee is the best!!!!!! Even now, I use a Kona coffee blend that is sooooo smooth!

That's great that she's there! It's a real cultural difference, and I hope she takes advantage and enjoys it!

I think it's a great place to live! My folks lived there for almost a year and a half, until my mother got island fever. "Island fever" is the anxiety of being isolated so far away from family and long-time friends. Not that she couldn't have flown back to the mainland for a visit whenever she wanted, but the daily separation just really got to her. She was depressed from feeling alone - even with my dad right there. Now that they're here, other family has taken over.

I was on Guam for two years and even though it was much smaller (basically 6x32 miles), I was too busy having fun. And I felt excited and enthusiastic while I lived in Hawaii for a short time too, but not her. Each person finds paradise differently.