Marsala

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. Ironically, any wine labeled "cooking" should not be used for cooking - or anything else. Cooking wine is a relic of Prohibition that has salt added to make it taste bad. Use a good bottle of wine - it doesn't have to be expensive.

"Cooking wine" that you buy in the supermarket is universally foul.

Always use real wine or substitute another liquid.

For Marsala and other dishes in which the wine is the star, always buy a decent bottle.

Cooks Illustrated did a taste test and recommends sweet marsala, but I prefer dry in my chicken marsala.

"Cooking wine" that you buy in the supermarket is universally foul.

Always use real wine or substitute another liquid.

For Marsala and other dishes in which the wine is the star, always buy a decent bottle.

Cooks Illustrated did a taste test and recommends sweet marsala, but I prefer dry in my chicken marsala.

Agree. I also prefer dry Marsala for this dish. The sweet stuff is for desserts.

You can because it's not illegal. But I wouldn't use "cooking" wine to making anything. If it's not good enough for the glass, it's not good enough for the pan.

. If it's not good enough for the glass, it's not good enough for the pan.
I expect that's how it gets to be marketed as "cooking" wine.

A long time ago, in my cooking infancy, I used "cooking" wine to make a coq au vin. It was terrible. I 'd assumed that this was wine specially made for cooking and better than the stuff that you used for drinking. I was very young and innocent! Lesson learned!

I expect that's how it gets to be marketed as "cooking" wine.

A long time ago, in my cooking infancy, I used "cooking" wine to make a coq au vin. It was terrible. I 'd assumed that this was wine specially made for cooking and better than the stuff that you used for drinking. I was very young and innocent! Lesson learned!

In post #3 above, I explained what cooking wine is. Are you blocking me, Mad Cook?

Back
Top Bottom