Masa Harina... can't find it anywhere.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone!

This is my very first post on here! (Well, second if you count my introduction post..)

I have a problem.. I have this recipe for Chicken Enchilada Soup. I've really been wanting to make it, but it calls for a cup of "Masa Harina"... I have looked everywhere, and can't find it anywhere. And to be honest, i'm not even sure what it is. So i tried to make the soup without it. It wasn't bad... but i wonder if it would have been better with that ingredient. Is there something i can use in it's place? We live in a small town, which dosn't have a Wal*Mart. We have two local grocery stores, which both have said they've never heard of it. I will try to check Wal*Mart the next time i'm there, if there's nothing i could use to substitute it with.

Thanks so much! :chef:

I have never used this, but maybe corn flour would work, or order over the net.
You will get more answers , hang in there. Good luck !

Good grief. Have lived in small towns for forty years and always can find masa harina.

But you can order it on the web, just Google a bit.

Masa harina is just very finely ground corn meal. (It's corn meal if it's coarsely ground and masa harina if it's fine). It may be in the Hispanic foods section of the grocery. If you have a hHispanic gricery store, they would surely have it.

Post the recipe. We may be able to find a substitute. I was looking for it years ago and had to go to about 10 stores before I could find it.

I will check Wal*Mart, they probably will have it..

Here's the recipe:

1 T. vegetable oil
1 lb. chicken breast fillets
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 pt. chicke broth
1 Cup masa harina
1 -1/2 pits water
1 cup red enchilada suce
1 lb. velveeta
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin

Garnish Ideas:
Sour cream
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Corn Tortilla chips, crumbled
Salsa
Green onions, sliced
Cilantro

I hate it when i try a new recipe, and i ask my husband what he thought of it, and he says ".. It was Okay" :mad:

That was his response with this recipe, (minus the masa harina, obviously)

:mad:.. If that's it, then the teenage boy who told me they didn't have it is in big trouble!! lol, i did see that at one of our local stores... Is that it?

LOL on the teenage boy, I guess if the name isn't exact he's gonna say no. But this might not be it, Lets see what the pros on here have to say about it. But based on description it sounds like it could be right.

That's great then! Uh oh, that teenage boy is in trouble! lol

Masa is usually not found in the baking section of the market with most flours and sugars. It can be most often found in the ethnic foods section with other "Mexican" type foods. Perhaps you are just looking in the wrong section of the market.

Around here (where they do carry it) it is with the regular flour, not the ethnic section.

where abouts do you live. here in california it`s everywhere the flour, cornmeal, baking
powder,and yeast is stocked. it is like a fine corn flour, you can make tamales out of it.
also you can get masa for tamales at certain bakeries at this time of year already mixed
up for people who are going to make tamales.

Grocery retailers are sometimes hard to understand in their merchandising strategies. Some will main stream an item, in this case Masa Harina, and display it in the "baking" section along with other baking items. Others will choose to incorperate it into an ethnic specialty (Hispanic) section in the store. Both approaches work, depending on the market they are operating in. Then there are exceptions to every rule. One thing is for certain, you will find the product on the baking aisle or in an Hispanic (ethnic) section of the store....If they carry the product at all.

Back
Top Bottom