Milk vs. Heavy Cream in sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I would like to make various creamy sauces ..

but Heavy Cream is not something I normally have in my Fridge..

is there any way to sub Milk (usually 2%) some way?

this would be for Cream Soups, Creamed veggies and even Creamed Tuna on Toast.

It looks like maybe a bit of Flour or Egg to the milk might work?

The main thing is to not to "Break" the milk?

some say "don't let it boil" but that is difficult in veggie dishes..

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I will sometimes sub evaporated milk for cream in recipes. Less fat and still creamy. I've also used half and half (fatfree kind) and also have used 2% milk. It all depends on what I'm making and how thick I want the sauce. The only time I use heavy cream is when I make ice cream. Otherwise it's whatever milk product I have on hand!

I often use half-and-half in place of heavy cream to save calories and fat.

BTW, iIf you buy half-and-half, check the label to make sure it's just cream and milk without additives.

Evaporated milk is a good substitute in sauces, and if you are making a cream soup, go ahead and use the 2%, and then add a few TBS of butter. You will have the creamy taste (not the texture), and still have less fat. If you want a thicker soup, go ahead and make a "slurry" of milk and flour and add to the soup. Just be sure to cook it until the flour taste is gone.

Another idea - we don't care for the heaviness of an alfredo sauce, so I use chicken broth for some of the cream, and then add some extra parmesan cheese to thicken it up. Here is a recipe I use for Chicken with Almost Alfredo Sauce:

SKILLET CHICKEN ALMOST ALFREDO WITH VEGETABLES

1/2 lb chicken breasts, sliced thin into strips
2 TBS butter
Salt and pepper

3 TBS butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup cream

I cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced julienne

½ pound fettuccine noodles
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish

Cook fettuccine noodles, broccoli and carrots together in a generous pot of boiling water for about 8 minutes, drain.

Meanwhile, in a skillet that is large enough to accommodate entire dish, sauté chicken pieces in butter until done, stirring frequently. Season to taste. Do not overcook. Set aside.

In same skillet, add 3 TBS butter and sauté on medium heat garlic until almost caramelized. Add broth to deglaze skillet, let simmer a few minutes, scraping bottom of skillet. Then add cream and ½ cup parmesan cheese, stir until slightly thickened.

Add chicken, stir in noodles and vegetables. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese and stir gently. Serves 2 generously.

Back
Top Bottom