"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Modify a millet pilaf?

Here's a recipe I got from allrecipes.com for a millet pilaf. I'm avoiding gluten so millet is a good choice of grain, and I want to try this. However, it calls for tofu and oranges and corn and white wine, which I'm also avoiding. It calls for ground coriander, which I love. Can someone think of a way to modify this recipe.. basically one has to drop the tofu entirely. I could use something else like beans or chicken (I am allowed chicken).

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup minced onion
  • 1 cup millet
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch saffron threads
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 3/4 cups water
  • 8 ounces firm tofu
  • 2/3 cup white wine
  • 1/3 cup minced shallots
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/3 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes

1. In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
  2. Mix the millet, coriander and cinnamon into the saucepan; saute for another minute or two, stirring constantly. Stir in the saffron threads, salt, pepper, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then cover the pan, and simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. While the millet simmers, prepare the tofu: Cut the tofu into small cubes about the size of peas. Place the tofu in a saucepan, and cover it with the white wine. Add the shallots and the garlic. Place the pan over medium-high heat until the wine comes to a simmer, then turn the heat to low. Simmer the tofu for 10 minutes or until the wine is reduced by half.
  4. When the millet has simmered for 30 minutes, add it and it's cooking liquid to the tofu. Mix in the corn and the orange rind. Stir well, then cover the pan and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
  5. Stir the tomatoes into the millet. Season with salt and pepper, then spoon the millet pilaf onto plates. Garnish with the chopped green onions and serve.

ratsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote