Natural Yogurt instead of Creme Fraiche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Doing a white sauce for Tagliatelle, receipe calls to heat creme friache in a bowel over the cooking tagliatelle, melting cheese into it, then adding the egg just bofore adding the tagliatelle. Would it be ok to heat the yogurt instead or would it just curdle?

I'd recommend using sour cream instead. I have better luck with sour cream not curdling than yogurt. Temperature control is the key to success. heat the SC over the cooking pasta. Whip the egg in a separate bowl. Temper the egg by adding a small amount of the warmed SC to the eggs as you whisk or stir it in. Repeat until the two are completely combined. Return the bowl with the SC and egg to the boiling pot and heat while stirring until it's just warm enough to melt the cheese. Stir the cheese in gradually.

If you get the sauce too hot, the SC and the cheese are subject to curdling.

I don't think I've ever successfully heated yogurt. It breaks every time. I agree with Andy, sour cream or even buttermilk is a better way to go if you're heating it. If using yogurt in a warm dish, I add it after the entire dish is done (and even then I've had it break).

Back
Top Bottom