"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 07-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Need Substitute for Chili Peppers/Chili Powder

Does anyone know of a good substitute for chili peppers/chili powder? I use cinnamon and cloves instead of crushed red pepper in spaghetti sauce, but I'm not sure it would work for chili.

Kadde

Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Are you looking for a substitute because you don't like chili peppers or chili powder or are you just looking for an alternative just for the heck of it?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Actually you dont hafto put any pepper in your spaghetti sauce if you dont want to I might add a bit more basil or basil pesto.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Substitute for chili peppers

I love the "bite" you get from chili powder and chili peppers. The cinnamon clove combo gives some of that to the spaghetti sauce tho not as much as crushed red pepper would. I may also try that for pizza sauces. I can use pepper made from peppercorns since they are a different plant, at least so far... so I am playing around with that. But they don't seem to be as good as chili powder or crushed red pepper for chili. Cumin is definately a partial answer, but there is still something missing. So the hunt goes on! lol

Kadde
Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
Sous Chef

The hot or the intense taste produced by the different types of chili or the fruits under the Genus Capsicum is due to the presence of varios chemicals like capsaicin and other related chemicals, they are collectively named as capsaicinoids.

Capsaicinoids is absent in other fruit, exact substitute of chili is not possible.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Master Chef

If you like the "bite" from chili powder & chili peppers, why are you looking for a substitute?

To be honest, nothing turns me off more than to find cinnamon in pasta sauces, even tho I know that many recipes ask for it. In fact, we stopped patronizing a local Italian restaurant back in NY because they started adding cinnamon to all their tomato-based sauces. Granted, it's a personal preference, but if you like pepper, why oh why are you looking for subs - especially subs like cinnamon & cloves which aren't even close in taste to the peppers? I don't understand.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Kadehawk, I get the impression from your second post that you are allergic to peppers. Is that the reason for your seeking a substitute?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Andy - I think you may be on to something.

It always helps if we know the full story when looking for answers. Otherwise we're all just sitting here wondering why you want a substitute and coming up with things that still may not be suitable due to an allergy.

If you are allergic to chili peppers we need to know that

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Master Chef

You are trying to make chili without chili powder? Because you are allergic to peppers?

Chili powder is a blend of dry chiles, cumin, garlic and mexican oregano. You can use the other 3 spices to give your chile taste without using peppers.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Yes, I am allergic, ana allergic, to chili peppers and must avoid the whole chili pepper family. I Love chili and tacos and pizza etc, but can no longer have most commercial types of these. I am trying to come up with ways to do these all from scratch, no premixes or spice packets.