No Coffee Liquor...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a recipe for CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING on Paulas Home Cooking the other day and was planning on making it for our guests tonight. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of coffee liquor. Is there anything I can use instead of that? Like maybe 1/2 cup of strong coffee? Or should I not make it until I get some... I can post the recipe if it would help..

You can use strong coffee in place of the coffee liqueur. Enjoy! I've made it and its yummy.

Oh that's great Alix! Thank you! I couldn't find any Irish Cream to make the "sauce" to go over it, but she said it'd still be great without it. Thanks again!!

I saw a recipe for CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING on Paulas Home Cooking the other day and was planning on making it for our guests tonight. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of coffee liquor. Is there anything I can use instead of that? Like maybe 1/2 cup of strong coffee? Or should I not make it until I get some... I can post the recipe if it would help..
I would start with 2 cups coffee bring to a boil and stir in 1/2 cup sugar. boil it down to a thick sweet syrup like thin maple syrup. That would be a lot closer to the sweetness and consistency of the liquor.

kahlua would work too. That said, you may want to make a different sauce all together for the dish rather than substituting. The coffee liqueur is probably bringing sweetness, thickness, and a touch of naughtiness to the dish in addition to coffee flavor. If you stick with the sauce, I'd follow Jeff G's advice and at least sweeten and thicken the coffee. You wouldn't need to start with strong coffee since you're reducing it, and coffee liqueur doesn't have a super-strong coffee taste anyway. Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom