No Working Oven...Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mzdee99

Assistant Cook
a working oven,,,so relying on a stove top.Im getting a slow cooker,,electric skillet and i do have a wok
i see all sorts of lovely casserole dishes that of course require an oven for baking
any tips on working around that?I would think i could just maybe cook in a pot/skillet on my stove and it would be ok
I wont have the crusty cheese/breadcrumb type topping that some of the recipes would have,,,,and texture may be a bit different.But barring that i think it may be at least edible?lol
any tips will be much help
TIA

Well if you are getting those other appliances, why not get a counter top oven? After hurricanes (we have a genny) we've eaten VERY well using the microwave, toaster oven, and a buffet cook top, plus the outdoor grill.

How about a grill? They are like an oven. I've made alot of bread in my smokers and it comes out great with an extra flavor that we like. If you want to spend as little as possible, get a weber one touch silver, 22".

thanks everyone! im happy to get so much kind help
i cant wait till i can cook in an actual oven!....ill prolly go baking crazy....lol
ill look into all the ideas

a working oven,,,so relying on a stove top.Im getting a slow cooker,,electric skillet and i do have a wok
i see all sorts of lovely casserole dishes that of course require an oven for baking
any tips on working around that?I would think i could just maybe cook in a pot/skillet on my stove and it would be ok
I wont have the crusty cheese/breadcrumb type topping that some of the recipes would have,,,,and texture may be a bit different.But barring that i think it may be at least edible?lol
TIA

I think the OP is asking about adapting casserole recipes for the stovetop.

I think most recipes can be made on the stovetop, you would just need to add a crispy topping to the finished product. You can toast bread crumbs in a frying pan and use those as a topping. You could also toast/warm up french fried onions for anther type of topping.

Oh my gosh...a mixture of crumbled bacon, breadcrumbs and fried onions...:pig:

I think the OP is asking about adapting casserole recipes for the stovetop.

I think most recipes can be made on the stovetop, you would just need to add a crispy topping to the finished product. You can toast bread crumbs in a frying pan and use those as a topping. You could also toast/warm up french fried onions for anther type of topping.

Oh my gosh...a mixture of crumbled bacon, breadcrumbs and fried onions...:pig:
ooohh ms fionna...ty ty ty for that idea
bacon makes everything yummier!!!

TIA

Welcome to DC.

Josie

A toaster oven! I use that a lot for garlic bread and other things!

If you buy a toaster oven, make sure it is rated for cooking meat.

The electric skillet with a lid will work much like an oven. I have successfully baked potatoes as well as cake in an electric skillet with lid.

If you buy a toaster oven, make sure it is rated for cooking meat.

The electric skillet with a lid will work much like an oven. I have successfully baked potatoes as well as cake in an electric skillet with lid.
i wasnt even really looking for appliance ideas,,,BUT im soo glad people listed them as well
and TY!!!!
i never ever would have thought about baking potatoes in an electric skillet
i feel dumb....:wacko:
what do you do?just pop them in,,,cover and go?
does it work for the bigger "russet" poatoes
I see you are in canada
im in the states and i know you arent exactly worlds away...just making sure we use the same wordage
Im so happy now,,,,ive been jonesing for baked potatoes:w00t2:

I also endorse getting a nice toaster oven. We have one and I often use it in place of our regular oven, especially in the warmer months so I don't have to tax the air-conditioning with extra unnecessary heating up of the kitchen.

I've also used my crock-pot to bake cakes. I've had my crock-pot since 1973 (It's an original Rival.) and the book that came with it gave instructions for using the appliance to bake assorted cakes, etc. You might do an Internet search of crock-pot baking/cooking ideas or go to your local library and see if they have anything in their cookbook section that would assist you.

Another cooking tool I really enjoy, especially during the summer, is our pressure cooker. Cooks well, fast and doesn't heat up the kitchen.

i wasnt even really looking for appliance ideas,,,BUT im soo glad people listed them as well
and TY!!!!
i never ever would have thought about baking potatoes in an electric skillet
i feel dumb....:wacko:
what do you do?just pop them in,,,cover and go?
does it work for the bigger "russet" poatoes
I see you are in canada
im in the states and i know you arent exactly worlds away...just making sure we use the same wordage
Im so happy now,,,,ive been jonesing for baked potatoes:w00t2:

I didn't think of it, it was in the user's manual.

Yup, just prep the potatoes the same way you would for the oven. If you oil your potatoes, you might want to put a bit of parchment or foil under the potato to make less clean up. I haven't tried that though. It should work for any potato that isn't so big that it touches the lid.

What I mean by electric skillet/frying pan: a (usually square) frying pan with legs. There is a temperature dial and it gets plugged into an electrical socket.

I also endorse getting a nice toaster oven. We have one and I often use it in place of our regular oven, especially in the warmer months so I don't have to tax the air-conditioning with extra unnecessary heating up of the kitchen.

I've also used my crock-pot to bake cakes. I've had my crock-pot since 1973 (It's an original Rival.) and the book that came with it gave instructions for using the appliance to bake assorted cakes, etc. You might do an Internet search of crock-pot baking/cooking ideas or go to your local library and see if they have anything in their cookbook section that would assist you.

Another cooking tool I really enjoy, especially during the summer, is our pressure cooker. Cooks well, fast and doesn't heat up the kitchen.
i think im gonna have to get one
i have a teennyyyy toaster oven
mostyly suited for frozen pancakes,,english muffin pizzas,,,,etc
cant afford one now,,,BUT maybe my b day
PLEASE tell me about that crock pot cake,,,,is it really good?

I didn't think of it, it was in the user's manual.

Yup, just prep the potatoes the same way you would for the oven. If you oil your potatoes, you might want to put a bit of parchment or foil under the potato to make less clean up. I haven't tried that though. It should work for any potato that isn't so big that it touches the lid.

What I mean by electric skillet/frying pan: a (usually square) frying pan with legs. There is a temperature dial and it gets plugged into an electrical socket.
yep..thats what i mean too
good
any water in the bottom of the skillet?
or just spuds in foil?

You can cook mostly everything either in your electric skillet or slow cooker. I like to have a one burner hotplate you can plug into the electricity and you can use a saucepan or flyingpan on that or even a bigger pot for soups etc. I hope you get your oven back soon. Did you realize you can bake in your slow cooker? You can and cakes and even desserts come out well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom