"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 08-24-2007, 06:22 AM   #11
Executive Chef

for me, parsley is a major food ingredient. The kind I grow has a strong flavor and plays a significant role in some dishes. I make pesto by the quart, and use half basil and half parsley for the greens in that recipe.

For a sub, in a dish that needs the kick that parsley would provide, I would use celery leaves, or horseradish.

But many dishes do use parsley as a garnishment, and in those dishes it would not be missed.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
for me, parsley is a major food ingredient. The kind I grow has a strong flavor and plays a significant role in some dishes. I make pesto by the quart, and use half basil and half parsley for the greens in that recipe.

For a sub, in a dish that needs the kick that parsley would provide, I would use celery leaves, or horseradish.

But many dishes do use parsley as a garnishment, and in those dishes it would not be missed.
I was surprised by the "parsley is only for color" remark earlier. I agree that parsley (fresh parsley, that is) plays a significant role in the taste of the finished product. It lends a great deal of flavor and finishes the dish with a bright, full intnesity. I use parsley in so many things and never am without it. As for substituting horseradish, those two flavors are worlds apart and depending on what the cook is making horseradish could destroy a dish. Try finishing spaghetti sauce with horseradish, or sprinkle some on potato salad. Disaster!!! I would just leave it out. Period.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
As for substituting horseradish, those two flavors are worlds apart and depending on what the cook is making horseradish could destroy a dish. Try finishing spaghetti sauce with horseradish, or sprinkle some on potato salad. Disaster!!! I would just leave it out. Period.
I am making potato salad today, and for four pounds of potatoes, I use 2 Tablespoons of horseradish. Have you ever tried horseradish in potato salad? Also, it is quite common to add horseradish to mashed potatoes fot those of us who admire horseradish!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
Master Chef

Horseradish in potato salad sounds yummy. In tomato sauce, not so much.

I'd leave it our or go with the celery leaves.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The only similarities between parsley and cilantro are the color. The flavors are nothing at all alike.
Someone most likely suggested substituting cilantro because cilantro is also known as Chinese parsley.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I am making potato salad today, and for four pounds of potatoes, I use 2 Tablespoons of horseradish. Have you ever tried horseradish in potato salad? Also, it is quite common to add horseradish to mashed potatoes fot those of us who admire horseradish!
As soon as I hit the "submit" button I realized how stupid my remark was about putting horseradish in potato salad. I did make it that way once, using fresh horseradish mixed into mayo and it was soooo good. I wasn't thinking. And I almost always add horseradish to my mashed potatoes. But when I make potato salad the regular way, I always add chopped fresh Italian parsley for a terrific taste.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Someone most likely suggested substituting cilantro because cilantro is also known as Chinese parsley.
Could be. Could also be that because some people (like Rachael Ray) say if you don't like cilantro you can sub parsley, that people who hear that might think it works the other way around, too.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Or it could just be that they look almost exactly alike so people assume they taste alike.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #19
Master Chef

I'm in the camp of people who say just leave it out, do not try to substitute. Cilantro definitely is NOT a sub. If you are just looking for appearances, try chopping some chives to get a sprinkle of green. But as far as flavor goes, just don't bother to try to reproduce it with something else. I, too, grew up thinking some things were just for color, a little parsley or paprika for red or green. Then as a child I lived in Germany and was taught to EAT that parsley garnish after a meal to freshen your palate and breath. A whole new world. Then I bought real Hungarian paprika and learned the stuff actually has flavor, and I bought and ground whole nutmegs for my husband's eggnog, another spice that I learned had flavor (as opposed to what was available in those days in the grocery stores). Some things just do not have real substitutes, if you are allergic or don't like them, just skip them.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #20
Head Chef

CLAIRE: You said a mouthful. And right you are.