Parsley Substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chervil is a member of the parsley family - allergies could still be an issue.

I like the idea of using arugula/rocket. It will have a bright flavor while giving some zip!

Good catch, Kitchenelf! I, too, like the rocket idea. Very underutilized, IMO.

Thanks, guys!

:chef:After going thru all of these posts concerning a parsley substitute, I changed the recipe I was working with(sausage bread)! I asked myself-why should parsley even be in the recipe? I, too, believe that cilantro is too flavored to take the place of parsley, and that the solution would to leave out the parsley(I think the celery flakes might not be too bad). I added paprika to the recipe and am still think of a spice to go along with it. Ain't cooking fun?;)

Hi Folks:

Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a tremendous allergy to parsley. (I know, it's very odd) In any case, a lot of recipes that call for parsley to add flavor, I just do not add the parsley. I assume I am missing out on a taste that should be in these meals. Does anyone know of a substitute for parsley that may have the same taste or cause the same reaction in recipes. I have tried cilantro, but for people who can eat parsley they tell me the cilantro taste is to "soapy" or it is not the same as parsley.

Thanks to any and all who can provide info.

Halloweenguy

I'd usually leave it out if it's used as a garnish, or I'd use cilantro if it's in there for flavor. I know that the flavors are completely different - that's why I use cilantro! I much prefer the flavor. But it's true that some people feel that cilantro tastes soapy. If in doubt, just omit it.

I am so happy to find your thread on this topic. I have a 3 year old who is allergic to parsley as well. It's changed the way we cook and but everything. I miss Italian flavored bread crumbs. Regular sauces. And it's kind of awkward to call a pizza joint to order a pizza and have them NOT know if it's in their pizza sauce or not! It's frustrating buying things that have "spices" in their ingredients, so I know how you feel
Minus myself being allergic. I've been looking for a sub for a couple years and nothing seems right.. But the basil does work in certain things. I'm about to make chicken noodle soup and it calls for parsley. Thanks again for the thread!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom