"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Parsley Substitute

Hi Folks:

Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a tremendous allergy to parsley. (I know, it's very odd) In any case, a lot of recipes that call for parsley to add flavor, I just do not add the parsley. I assume I am missing out on a taste that should be in these meals. Does anyone know of a substitute for parsley that may have the same taste or cause the same reaction in recipes. I have tried cilantro, but for people who can eat parsley they tell me the cilantro taste is to "soapy" or it is not the same as parsley.

Thanks to any and all who can provide info.

Halloweenguy

Old 08-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

The only similarities between parsley and cilantro are the color. The flavors are nothing at all alike.

Someone may come along with a sub, but my suggestion would be to just leave it out without trying to sub anything. IMO, most recipes use it for visual appeal, not flavor. This is, of course, not always the case. I think you can usually just omit it though.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Another voe for just leaving it out. I often do.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

You might try using a bit of chopped Arugula...it has a nice peppery taste that might fill the bill.
Depending on your dish, you might substitute another fresh herb, such as basil or dill. The flavor will be different, but still tasty.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The only similarities between parsley and cilantro are the color. The flavors are nothing at all alike.

Someone may come along with a sub, but my suggestion would be to just leave it out without trying to sub anything. IMO, most recipes use it for visual appeal, not flavor. This is, of course, not always the case. I think you can usually just omit it though.
I agree. Cilantro and parsley taste NOTHING alike.

As for a substitute for parsley... well... there really isnt one.. but like GB said.. you don't really NEED a substitute either. Most often parsely is just for colour and a tiny hint of subtle, fresh, flavour. (unless it is a key player such as for toubelleh salad or something) Depending on the recipe you could use a bit of chopped chervil (closest to parsley that you can get, i think), angelica, dill, lovage, savory, basil, etc. Each has their own unique individual flavour though (unlike parsley, which is rather generic) and can change the flavours of the dish so I'd experiment w/ each (using a tiny bit at a time) until you are familiar with each flavour.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Sous Chef

if its a light dish, leaves of celery would work. a pasta or sauce, try basil.
this is simply if you want a fresh herb to "fill" the very small void not using Parsley creates. Like others mentioned, its normally for visual appeal, so I'd go with leaves of a celery stalk.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Head Chef

Parsley has always confused me.

As a kid I knew it only as a garnish - toss a sprig or two on the plate and the green made it more attractive. I would eat it because I liked the flavor, but if it was ignored no one ever seemed to mind.

But then as I got older, and actually cared about cooking and eating, I learned that parsley could give a wonderful flavor to many dishes. Love a bit mixed in with mashed taters. And it is good in so many dishes.

Maybe the most 'in your taste buds' parsley dish is tabouleh, which to me is basically a parsley salad. (To me the bulger is there to give texture and dilute the parsley, but I have heard folks argue it is a bulger salad. But to me it is a parsley concoction.)

So, it seems to me, you have two uses of parsley, as simple garnish or as a flavoring agent.

As a garnish, there are many other options. You want a green sprig, thyme or rosemary at the edge of the plate will do just fine. Or chives, or, for other colors match stick beets, or carrots, there are so many options.

If you want to add flavor to the dish, I don't know of anything that tastes like parsley. But there are many other herbs. The dish will not taste exactly the same without parsley but what the heck? One herb I would think of substituting is sorrel. But I am biased, I like the stuff.

Would not worry about not being able to use parsley, there are a lot of other options out there.

Take care.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Head Chef

How about Chervil? Mild flavour, enhances what it's with. Tough to find fresh, though.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
How about Chervil? Mild flavour, enhances what it's with. Tough to find fresh, though.
Chervil is a member of the parsley family - allergies could still be an issue.

I like the idea of using arugula/rocket. It will have a bright flavor while giving some zip!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Head Chef

I used parsley for flavor in my Manhatten Clam chowder and as a garnish any other time, Don't worry about it