Pine nut SUB for pesto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."

Any nut will work. And any herb too!

French "Pistou", is the same as "Pesto" in every way except it has no nuts at all. It is very good.

And as Dawg says, you can use any herb. I like a mixture of basil and spinach, and have had arugula pesto with macadamias!

I am deathly allergic to pine nuts. I sub walnuts, almonds, pistachio, filberts, peanuts for pine nuts -- they all work. Just don't offer me pesto with pine nuts!

I am deathly allergic to pine nuts. I sub walnuts, almonds, pistachio, filberts, peanuts for pine nuts -- they all work. Just don't offer me pesto with pine nuts!

I usually go with almonds or walnuts.

I never thought of peanuts, do you think a dollop of peanut butter would work in a pesto pinch? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
i don't like too much stuff in my pesto. the kind i made today just had home grown basil, olive oil, pepper and garlic.

I like making pesto with either Swiss Chard or lightly blanched kale, basil, EVOO, nuts, garlic, cheese. I've made pesto with parsley and basil as well as coriander and basil as well.

I've made some really great pesto with walnuts and sometimes add walnut oil.
I would have no fear putting in a dollop of peanut butter since I know in my kitchen I'm the boss.

Back
Top Bottom