Possible shallot substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been in your shoes before & have just used regular onion - preferably a mild sweet type, but any type in a pinch. A red onion would work great. In my opinion, garlic doesn't fit the bill at all, leek is a bit "grassy", & scallions are too strong vs. shallots.

I've been in your shoes before & have just used regular onion - preferably a mild sweet type, but any type in a pinch. A red onion would work great. In my opinion, garlic doesn't fit the bill at all, leek is a bit "grassy", & scallions are too strong vs. shallots.

However, in this instance, garlic does fit the bill! That's why knowing the recipe was so important.

Thanks for the recipe, GB. I'll put that on my list of chimichurri sauces to try.

I'm going to weigh in with those who've recommended red onions. You might want to use fewer, as red onions (IMO) are a little stronger.

I do not find red onions anything at all like shallots personally, but I know from past conversations here that not all red onions are created the same. The red onions I am used to getting are very hot and super strong tasting. If you get mild, not hot red onions then it might be a good sub.

The Food Lover's Companion suggests the white part of scallions. To me, that sounds like a reasonable sub. I use whatever I have on hand that's closest.

Back
Top Bottom