Possible shallot substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
In the event my store does not have shallots, what should I pick up? A leek? Green onions/scallions (same thing?). I'm not too hip on all the onion varieties..... but would like to either use what the recipe calls for, or the closest substitute I can find.

:)

Hi, Pacanis. Any of those will work. In a pinch, even regular white or yellow onions will work, just use a little less. Shallots are a bit sweeter and milder than regular onions. HTH.

Was just gonna say what she said. I guess I don't even need to type this!!!
:)

Don't know what you're making. But yes, sub with the above, maybe using the milder part of the sub-plant. I think shallots also have a faint garlicy flav, between onion-garlic, but sweet and mild. You should be able to get them near where the garlic is sold.

What is it that you are making. Any of the above options, including the ones you asked about in your original post, could work. Depending on what you are making though, certain options might make a little more sense than others.

Interesting. The shallot in the link Andy posted looks nothing like the shallots at wiki, which were said come in bunches.
If you ask me, there's too dang many onions. Unless you happen to be an onion connoisseur.
So, the recipe, which I happen to have the link to on another computer, already calls for garlic, so a touch more garlic and a little less of a sweet flavored onion should make up for a shallot, from what I am understanding.

This all has been a big help. No sense buying shallots, which I read are pricey in the US, if there are so many widely accepted substitutions, especially since it will be mixed in with a bunch of other stuff (it's a chimichurri (sp?) recipe).

Pacanis, it all depends on how you cook and your pantry. I, for one, usually always have shallot on hand. I use it in many dishes and sauces. You'll be fine with any of the substitutes. If you use regular yellow/spanish onion make sure you cook the "bite" out a little first.

No sense buying shallots, which I read are pricey in the US, if there are so many widely accepted substitutions
Substitute does not mean that it is the same thing. Your end result will not be the same as if you had used the ingredients called for. That does not mean it will not still be great, but it just won't be quite the same. Do not give up on trying shallots just because there are things you can substitute. I could substitute a Toyota for a Ferrari, but I would much rather have the Ferrari.

Interesting. The shallot in the link Andy posted looks nothing like the shallots at wiki, which were said come in bunches.
If you ask me, there's too dang many onions. Unless you happen to be an onion connoisseur.
So, the recipe, which I happen to have the link to on another computer, already calls for garlic, so a touch more garlic and a little less of a sweet flavored onion should make up for a shallot, from what I am understanding.

This all has been a big help. No sense buying shallots, which I read are pricey in the US, if there are so many widely accepted substitutions, especially since it will be mixed in with a bunch of other stuff (it's a chimichurri (sp?) recipe).

I keep a small jar of dried shallots on hand. It works for me , rehydrate either in water or liquid that is in the recipe.

Thanks, GB, but when it comes to me and onions...... I think a better comparison would be substituting a Nissan for a Toyota. You asked for it. You got it. :LOL:

I understand what you're saying about recipe substitutions though. It's not "the" recipe if you change something. We'll see what the store brings later today.

Thanks LC. I read that shallots can be stored a long time. That's a big plus for me if I don't have to drive in town everytime a recipe calls for a milder tasting onion.

I've made chimicurri many times and have several recipes and not one of them calls for shallots or onions of any kind. LOTS of garlic, yes...onion, no...sounds like you need to just increase the garlic.

Back
Top Bottom